Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can apple provide drivers for older printers?

MacBook & PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 1:25 PM

3 replies

Nov 14, 2014 8:08 PM in response to KiltedTim

That is/was my thinking. When I spoke to a Canon printer tech rep before submitting the question to the Apple Support Community he indicated that Canon no longer provided drivers for one of the older Canon printers I own but noted that some computer companies provide "mini drivers" for some of their printers. He may have been blowing smoke. But not all was lost. Additional research introduced me to a software company that provides printer drivers to the Apple/Mac community. The company is PrintFab. I signed up for the 30 day trial and will be paying for the permanent software version before the trial is up. My 15 year old Canon BJC-85 couldn't be happier and I do not need to get a new portable printer. And no, I do not have any relationship with PrintFab. I hope my reply is helpful to others.

Nov 14, 2014 8:43 PM in response to IrishGuy

You may be able to get old printers to work with OS X using the "Gutenprint" resource

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

I have a REALLY ancient Epson printer that has no driver in the standard OS X installation. But by installing Gutenprint, an appropriate driver comes up for it when I try to add the printer in System Preferences.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.