Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Add or Remove Safari Bookmarks

Has anyone received the following error message: You have been using Safari with bookmarks, history, and passwords imported from Firefox. To edit your bookmarks, you must first keep or remove the Firefox data. Safari imported these when you started using it on December 31, 4000, so you could try out Safari with your data.

I am receiving this error message (the screenshot below) whenever I try to add or remove bookmarks in Safari. I've already tried all three options: "Don't Keep," "Cancel," and "Keep Data from Firefox" but none help resolve the problem. The error message started after I updated to Yosemite. Please chime in with steps on how to fix this issue.

Thanks.

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Safari 8

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 6:00 PM

12 replies

Nov 14, 2014 9:34 PM in response to javrivera

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Quit Safari.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open with a file named "Bookmarks.plist" selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the folder open.

Relaunch Safari. It will open with the default set of bookmarks. Delete them all. Select

File Import from... (or Import Bookmarks...)

from the Safari menu bar. Import from the bookmarks file you moved to the Desktop. Arrange the bookmarks as you wish.

If Safari now performs normally, you can delete the old bookmarks file. Otherwise, quit Safari again and put back the file you moved, replacing the newer one with the same name. Close the Finder window and post your results.

Nov 15, 2014 4:34 PM in response to Linc Davis

I unchecked it, went through you steps again, but it didn't help. I tried to find Safari 8 online so I could reinstall it but unlike previous versions it seems like it's part of the OS Yosemite package and can't be individually reinstalled. Do you think that would have helped (to reinstall)? If so, is it worth trying to find a way to do that?

Jan 16, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have exactly the same problem. There is absolutely nothing I can do to allow Safari to add a bookmark.

You have been using Safari with bookmarks, history, and passwords imported from Firefox.

To edit your bookmarks, you must first keep or remove the Firefox data.

Safari imported these when you started using it on December 31, 4000, so you could try out Safari with your data.

This is really frustrating.

Jan 20, 2015 11:22 PM in response to out4adance

this worked for me

from here

Can't add or delete bookmarks- Yosemite

To do that, open Terminal and enter the following commands:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

defaults delete com.apple.Safari

Hopefully, that will allow you to start Safari with a rebuilt Preferences file. If you still have problems after that, you may have to nuke your Safari history/bookmarks/etc by deleting the ~/Library/Safari folder.

Can't Add or Remove Safari Bookmarks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.