Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i know my phone is charging when it is dead?

anyone know? I've had problems charging the phone in general but i just picked out a load of dust and muck from inside the charger slot. hoping that might do the trick, but my phones dead and i don't know whether its charging or not. anyone help me?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2016 8:28 PM

iPhone 5S.

I have noticed the exact opposite behaviour. When the lightening bolt is visible (dead phone charging use case), and you see a battery shape getting charged then the iPhone is NOT charging.

It means (I could be totally wrong; am sharing my exp.) that the phone is begging to be plugged in.

Whereas if you only see the battery shape (lying on its side with the + pointing rightwards) with 2-3 red "filling" type of sticks sort of fluctuating, THEN the dead battery is charging.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2016 8:28 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

iPhone 5S.

I have noticed the exact opposite behaviour. When the lightening bolt is visible (dead phone charging use case), and you see a battery shape getting charged then the iPhone is NOT charging.

It means (I could be totally wrong; am sharing my exp.) that the phone is begging to be plugged in.

Whereas if you only see the battery shape (lying on its side with the + pointing rightwards) with 2-3 red "filling" type of sticks sort of fluctuating, THEN the dead battery is charging.

Nov 14, 2014 5:57 PM in response to Andytaylor2109

Charge it for 15 minutes with the wall adapter, then reset it by holding the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time until an Apple logo appears. If nothing appears after 30 seconds of holding either the battery is not charging, it's dead, or the phone has a hardware problem.

If you see anything other than an Apple logo follow the instructions on the screen.

how do i know my phone is charging when it is dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.