Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your browser does not support iFrames"

I do some work in HTML for the website I edit, and when trying to embed a video, the code I get says "Your browser does not support iFrames".

Example:

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=36921289&topic_id=6479 266&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes. </iframe>

I have talked to the tech guys at the site, and they are not experiencing the same problem, so it is isolated to me for some reason. I have tried both Safari and Chrome, and according to research I have done, both should support iframes. I haven't seen many other issues on Google or forums or anything, so I can't find any semblance of a solution anywhere. It doesn't seem to make sense. I have a Macbook Pro retina, about a year old. No reason it shouldn't support it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2014 9:48 PM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2014 10:36 PM in response to KJ_Jeller

I think that you may be jumping to conclusions.

In your code snippit, the text "Your browser does not support iframes." does NOT mean that YOUR browser doesn't support IFRAMES. What it means is that when a site visitor with an extremely old browser version visits your site, THEY will see that message instead of the iframe content.

I think you are confusing the fact that the code your are copying and pasting into your website source code does not literally apply to you while editing your site.

If you browse your site as a normal visitor then you will not see that message unless you have a VERY old browser. Every modern browser supports IFRAMES.

The only thing that I see that may cause an odd result in a modern browser is that the "frameborder" attribute is not supported in HTML5. Here is some reference material:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_iframe.asp

Nov 14, 2014 10:42 PM in response to FishingAddict

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that is the case. When the tech guys at the site went in there as an editor, they did not get the same error. They saw the video preview and code as it was supposed to be. And in asking some other writers about this issue before, they do not see the iframe error in the code despite getting it from the same exact video source.

And in fact, I decided to just throw up a post with the code in question, and then go and view it on the site, and it was not showing up, meaning the error is still there. For some reason, my computer/browsers aren't working with iframes.

Nov 20, 2014 10:14 PM in response to KJ_Jeller

View the following page and let me know if you see the message "Test page in iframe" message:

http://www.quirksmode.org/iframetest.html

If you see it, then your browsers are working fine and we need to figure out what's breaking your posted code when you save it, but before you view it.

If you don't see it, then we need to figure out why your browsers are not working with iframes (both Safari and Chrome certainly do).

Nov 20, 2014 10:22 PM in response to FishingAddict

I do see the message, in both browsers.

Since posting this, I have discovered that if I use Chrome when pasting in the code, it will show up for me, but Safari does not. I just assumed (wrongly) that seeing the "your browser does not support iframes" message when getting the embed code from the video meant it wouldn't work in Chrome and it wasn't until later that I actually tried posting it in Chrome.

But it is still weird to me that Safari isn't supporting it. I mean, the fact that I can see the iframe message you linked to tells me it should, and in my research I have had similar experiences, but that doesn't make sense since I can't seem to create them myself in Safari.

Nov 20, 2014 11:11 PM in response to KJ_Jeller

Great. At least we have narrowed this down to a single problem. You are simply having a problem "posting HTML code containing an iFrame to a page on your website when using Safari". Now we can focus on that.

The first thing to consider is if you have any differences between your Safari vs Chrome settings, extensions, or plugins? Also, you may want to search for any known incompatibilities of your web editing tool or CMS and Safari. Unless your website is based on very old technology I would doubt that there would be any issues with a particular modern browser but it doesn't hurt to check.

When you "edit" your website, do you do it right in the website using a CMS (e.g. Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.), or some WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver, or a web-based editor on your hosting provider's cPanel, or a local code editor on your computer through SFTP or SSH? Depending on what tool you are using to copy/paste code to the website, something could be interfering with what ends up being saved to the page.

"Your browser does not support iFrames"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.