Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did apple break my heart with underpowered hardware?

Im in a bit of an apple quagmire. I made the jump to apple about 3 years ago and now I'm seriously considering jumping ship. Granted Ive always been open minded and ambidextrous when it comes to my technology, but the recent iMac is strike 3 for me.

So why the sudden change of heart? RETINA! Apples pursuit of a mainstream customer base while dropping the enthusiasts. particularly with the use of overbearing "RETINA" with underwhelmed hardware. Why is apple sacrificing overall system performance to run screen resolutions that hardware is underpowered to handle?

Im at a cross roads and unsure of what to do. my latest buyers remorse is on a late 2013 rmbp and iPhone 6 plus.

The macbook struggles with large webpages. It can't even handle youtube. the audio and video get out of sync. resizing a **** window is jittery and laggy. all around slow and laggy user experience and It breaks my heart. everything points at the gpu and obnoxious resolutions.

the iphone6plus is almost identical! the regular 6 is clearly the faster phone. again thanks to the overdone resolution that a gpu can't handle. scrolling through the default wallpapers freezes up and stutters every time, rotating screen is noticeably choppy, and again just bad UI sluggishness and animations. Like really?

EVEN a iphone 5s feels generally faster..

I know im not the only one with these issues . I want so hard to not have this sadness. Im starting to think my eyeballs are more sensitive to UI lag than the consensus apple uses when testing hardware. But there clearly is a trend here. And I dont like it! Do I need to sell my retina macbook to go buy a old 2011 regular macbook pro just to not feel like I freaking downgraded to some slow sub 500 $ laptop???

Saw the new retina imac in person. Same freaking story. way lagy compared to older imacs. I played a youtube video side by side with another imac and sure enough the rimac stuttered so much that the video ended up 5 seconds behind by the end. there is no way a 2 year old midrange laptop gpu can support 5k is this all some kind of cruel joke? Whats apples game here? Awee pretty pretty, but hardcore users feel ripped off when older machines outperform?

I just sent my macbook in to apple to have it repaired hoping it was some sort of hardware problem.. they replaced the motherboard.. came back exactly the same sluggish stuttery disapointment.

anway I bought a macbook air in 2011 and absolutely loved it. IT was super fast, smooth and great battery. I don't feel that way when Im using my 2014 retina macbook pro. It feels like a slower machine. I think apple needs to slow down a bit and pull out the polish.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2014 6:57 PM

I Feel the same way. The lag is terrible. I've had 2 Pro retinas but endes up selling or returning them bc of the lag.

right now im considering the MacBook air but don't knoe about the low resolution if I can handle it.

also the low ram of 4gb they sell at best buy. Don't want to spend that much on an air just for the 8gb

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2014 6:57 PM in response to pixeldennisty

I Feel the same way. The lag is terrible. I've had 2 Pro retinas but endes up selling or returning them bc of the lag.

right now im considering the MacBook air but don't knoe about the low resolution if I can handle it.

also the low ram of 4gb they sell at best buy. Don't want to spend that much on an air just for the 8gb

Jun 17, 2015 7:48 AM in response to pixeldennisty

I know its an old post but still true today. Look at iMac range now its just hilarious, they took out ,all the powerful top iMacs out and left the mid-rang version without possibility to upgrade CPU or GPU. You may wonder why, best guess is underpowered retina 5k iMacs don't sell fast enough so instead of giving it better stats they took down powerful imacs.

no longer possible to have core i7 and GTX GPU imacs. you are stuck with outdated GT 750M and GT 755M on the core i5 on THE MOST EXPENSIVE MODEL ONLY 27 INCH VERSION. This is such a joke. I guess poor apple needs a witte bit mowe pwofit they can hardly keep afloat.

Its 2015 Jun and my iMac of Late 2013 is much more powerful than the latest most expansive iMac 27" of today, 2 years later.

They took iMacs 2 years BEHIND while increased prices on it, it mind boggling.

Jun 17, 2015 4:13 PM in response to VanDerDa

VanDerDa wrote:

I know its an old post but still true today. Look at iMac range now its just hilarious, they took out ,all the powerful top iMacs out and left the mid-rang version without possibility to upgrade CPU or GPU. You may wonder why, best guess is underpowered retina 5k iMacs don't sell fast enough so instead of giving it better stats they took down powerful imacs.

no longer possible to have core i7 and GTX GPU imacs. you are stuck with outdated GT 750M and GT 755M on the core i5 on THE MOST EXPENSIVE MODEL ONLY 27 INCH VERSION. This is such a joke. I guess poor apple needs a witte bit mowe pwofit they can hardly keep afloat.

Its 2015 Jun and my iMac of Late 2013 is much more powerful than the latest most expansive iMac 27" of today, 2 years later.

They took iMacs 2 years BEHIND while increased prices on it, it mind boggling.

Do you have a specific technical question or are you just venting? If you are venting and want to let Apple know, use the contact us link at the bottom of this page. We are not Apple here. If you have a technical question needing help, start a new thread where your issue will receive serious consideration thereby increasing your chance of getting help.

Jun 17, 2015 4:14 PM in response to shotsk7

shotsk7 wrote:

be thankful your hard drive still boots, consider yourself lucky

Do you have a specific technical question or are you just venting? If you are venting and want to let Apple know, use the contact us link at the bottom of this page. We are not Apple here. If you have a technical question needing help, start a new thread where your issue will receive serious consideration thereby increasing your chance of getting help.

Jul 20, 2015 9:02 AM in response to pixeldennisty

I jumped to mac back in 2008 and loved it. The macbook pro back then was perfectly fine at handling everything I could throw at it (photos, HD video, etc). I ended up getting an updated 17'' MBP in 2011 because of a no-lemon policy. Upgraded the RAM and tossed in a SSD...the thing is still great for photo and HD video (for the most part). It starts to lag a bit if I'm using my BlackMagic Cinema Camera (at 1080, not RAW) and I put in a few effects layers in Premiere. It's a 4 year old laptop, so I'm not terribly surprised. I was waiting it out for the new release here a couple months ago, and Apple broke my heart with an anemic GPU in the new macbook pro (don't even get me started that 17'' isn't an option anymore...I still cry myself to sleep over it, lol). I finally decided I need something somewhat mobile to work on video, and pulled the trigger on a Windows laptop. Intel 4810hq, 2x980m in SLI, 2x500gb mSATA SSD, 1TB 7200rpm HDD, room for two more drives, 17.3'' screen, Thunderbolt (still get to use all my drives!), etc...cost the same as a new Macbook Pro. Sure, it's thicker, heavier, and the battery doesn't last 10 hours...but I wouldn't expect that out of the "pro" line. If I wanted those things, i'd go regular or air. "Pro" means I need to get some work done, and I need to get it done quickly. So, at least on the mobile side of things, I had to say goodbye to Apple. I still love my new mac pro (trash can version) and it's glorious 8-cores, 32gb RAM, and dual D700's. But, depending on how beastly my new laptop is at video editing (which I have a feeling it will be quite beastly), I may just sell off the Mac Pro as well. It's sad, because I do like OS X, but I'm also very comfortable in Windows. Apple just doesn't care about those of us who rely on our machines to get work done anymore. They cater towards the masses, and why shouldn't they? That's where they make money. I get it. But it doesn't make it any less sad.

Why did apple break my heart with underpowered hardware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.