Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Configurator OR Profile Manager?

Hi there,

I do realise that a couple of similar questions have already been posted and I've also done a reasonable amount of research online, but the answer to the following questions are still not clear to me:

= Why does Apple maintain two different products that seem to to serve the same purpose: Apple Configurator and Profile Manager?

= Are there specific use-case scenarios for each product?

= Will Profile Manager eventually replace Apple Configurator (since it seems a more complete solution - also managing Macs)?

Background:

I am managing a growing set of shared iPads (we do not have a 1:1 arrangement) at a primary school.

We are currently using Apple Configurator to "Supervise" the ipads.

We are about to double the number of iPads we have to 60+ and I want to be sure we are using the best/most appropriate solution.

Being able to manage the devices via wi-fi (without introducing a third party product if possible) would be great, we currently have to plug them in via USB. It seems as though Profile Manager offers this feature, but since that is the case, I can't understand why Apple Configurator does not! And why anyone would continue using Apple Configurator if it has a reduced feature set compared to Profile Manager!

Clarification and a definitive answer would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,
Alastair

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 4:47 AM

4 replies

Nov 17, 2014 2:40 AM in response to alastairb

The Profile Manager is a part of the OS X Server and can manage devices over the air. For preparing and supervising devices the Apple Configurator is still needed and not replaced by the Profile Manager. The Apple Configurator can only manage devices attached by USB, the Profile Manager manages devices via internet.

Kind Regards,

SSI JDE

Nov 17, 2014 1:54 PM in response to alastairb

Hi Alastair,

Profile Manager (and other MDMs) allow for over the air management of iPads. You can "supervise" iPads OTA with an MDM if the device is enrolled in Apple's Device Enrollment Program (aka DEP)...you no longer need Configurator to "supervise" them. You will find that using DEP with Profile Manager or another MDM is very useful for one-to-one deployment scenarios, especially when taking advantage of Apple's Volume Purchase Plan's Managed Distribution licenses (aka VPP MD) for app deployment. With Profile Manager, you can set up various configuration profiles to customize your fleet of iPads wirelessly.

Apple Configurator is Apple's supported tool for a shared deployment model (like for a school cart of iPads being used by various students). You can deploy apps using Configurator without requiring an Apple ID on each device (Apple Configurator uses a single Apple ID to deploy apps to the cart of iPads). So when devices are not assigned to a specific user, Apple Configurator will be the tool to use.

So think MDM for one-to-one, Configurator for shared. In our environment of 2,500+ iPads, we manage both carts of iPads for some schools as well as one-to-one devices using a 3rd party MDM. We use Apple Configurator to set up our shared carts while using our MDM to set up our one-to-one devices via DEP. Note that if you are using DEP to supervise and manage your devices, you can't use Configurator too (you must supervise by either your MDM or Configurator, not both). You can however have some degree of OTA management on shared Configurator devices by enrolling your Configurator cart of iPads to the MDM and deploying configuration profiles OTA. So you can "enroll" devices into your MDM without "supervising" them using the MDM and have some limited OTA management capabilities to shared carts that are "supervised" by Apple Configurator. You just can't "supervise" with both MDM and Configurator on a single device.

Until Apple allows for full OTA management of shared devices, I don't see Configurator going away. It is still the supported tool for shared cart deployments. I hope that will someday change.

Hope this answers your question. Good luck!!

~Joe

Apple Configurator OR Profile Manager?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.