Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks drains battery when not connected to Wifi

Since the release of Yosemite, there is a bug in iBooks that causes it to drain the battery on my MacBook Pro. Here are the repro steps:

1. Turn Wifi off.

2. Launch iBooks

3. Wait a few seconds.

Observed behavior: The laptop gets really hot and the projected battery life remaining goes way down.

Looking at Activity monitor, there is a process called storeaccountd that has pegged the CPU at about 100% and it stays there as long as iBooks is open. If I connect Wifi or quit iBooks, the problem goes away. I discovered this when I tried to read a book in iBooks while on an 8 hour flight. iBooks was pretty much useless because I didn't have a Wifi connection.

There's another thread in the Yosemite section where others have also confirmed the problem:

iBooks runs "storeaccountd" process that runs CPU at 100% and drain battery

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 1:07 PM

6 replies

Nov 28, 2014 12:56 PM in response to Ben Cloward

Not only ibooks consumes more battery, but there is a lot of lag and it is unusable in the best of times. So I have done looking around and it turns out, there is this process called storeaccountd which takes a good chunk of the CPU power. From whatever knowledge I have; it looks like it is trying to connect to the iTunes store and when there is no wifi the process just keeps running. I hope one of the mods look into this, and respond with a good solution.

Edit: looks like you have already mentioned the link to another discussion the same topic.

Dec 24, 2014 11:32 AM in response to Ben Cloward

Same problem here in Vienna. I can count down the battery percentage on my MBA11 mid2013, while ibook tries to connect somewhere.

I tried it with updates, but this annoying behavior still continues.

Really disappointed by apple, I will swap to another program to read my books.

I tried also following steps from another forum post, and this helped until now:

reset PRAM by real restarting the mac and pressing option+cmd+"p"+"r" twice

--this brings some settings to factory - don't wipe your hardest here! just restart again.

delete plist in your terminal (launchpad/others/terminal) by following two inputs:

• rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist
  • killall Dock

I can not find the original post now, but I thank here for the person, who gave this temporary solution.

OS-X 10.10.1 MBA-11 Mid 2013

power with safari on (now): 527mA

now turning ibooks on (wifi on): 895mA and back to 629mA

now closing ibooks / turning wifi off and turning ibooks on: 621-->454mA (552 to 777 with wlan on again)

Best from Austria

Jan 29, 2015 3:40 AM in response to maybevienna

I confirm this.

I was using my macbook pro without internet connection, and wifi turned off.

I noticed my battery was draining much quicker than normal and the macbook felt hot, while doing nothing really heavy duty.

When checking I found the "storeaccountd" doing some heavy work.

After closing iBooks everything went back to normal.

So, It seems to be a common problem...

Brgds,

Koen

iBooks drains battery when not connected to Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.