Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari quits during sleep

Safari 7.1 and TextEdit quit while the computer is sleeping overnight, other apps stay open. I've heard about ' Prevent App Nap', but that's not avail on these apps (true of all Mac apps?).

I'd like Safari to stay open. Is there a fix?

Mavericks, Early 2008 iMac

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 2:58 PM

4 replies

May 17, 2015 3:07 PM in response to artdrectr

I'm having this issue, too. It's not crashing. There is no crash report. It just quits.

While I can't find a way to disable App Nap just for Safari, as you can on other apps, I have been able to disable it on all apps.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20140508050203105

But this didn't solve the issue. I looked and found some people had Genieo or InstallMac, but after doing a search of my computer and also running Adware Medic, I found neither of them. I also did a virus scan and it found nothing.

I cleared my history. It still quits with inactivity.

This seems to have started about the same time as my Yosemite update. Chrome will stay open, as well as other programs, it just seems to affect Safari.

It's more annoying than anything and mostly, I was worried it was a symptom of a larger problem. I still haven't found a solution for it.

Version 10.10.3

iMac 27 Inch, late 2009

3.06 GHz

16 GB

May 19, 2015 10:24 AM in response to lbcliff

lbcliff wrote:

I have the same problem. Also started with the update to 10.10.3. No option to disable App Nap. Driving me nuts. Sometimes I have to walk away from my work. Now when I come back to the desk, it's like a thief has stolen my files. Ruining my productivity. Apple, please help!

If you have a lap top and are closing it - or a desk top and are putting it to sleep -- better way to secure it for a walk away from your desk is to set up (hopefully apple didn't get rid of it) screens saver with a hot corner (immediately launches it) with required password to go back to the desk top.

Yes it look so cool when actors sleep their lap tops for security - but if you don't have to sign in to wake it up -- you might as well leave it open.

May 22, 2015 5:34 AM in response to notcloudy

Thanks for the tip. I did a browser test and Safari was the only one that quit during sleep. Chrome & Firefox stayed on.

I turned off the Sleep Function and set the Screen Saver for a day and Safari did not quit. I wanted to try another round of troubleshooting, so I went back to the original settings with the Sleep function on and the Screen Saver off. Lo & Behold, Safari behaved and has been doing so for three days. Perhaps this is the equivalent of unplugging & replugging a device. Maybe Mercury is in retrograde. I'm just happy Safari is not quitting.

safari quits during sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.