Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken digitizer: replace under warranty?

HI all,

it appears that my digitizer underneath is broken. I never dropped the device and the screen itself is intact with no breaks or shatters. Would this be replaced under warranty? Device is iPhone 6User uploaded file

iPhone 6

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 7:11 AM

6 replies

Nov 16, 2014 7:48 AM in response to Jcollura4

Jcollura4 wrote:

Device was never dropped, there is no impact point and when you feel the glass, there is no change of textire or crack

I didn't say it was dropped. I said it looks like 'pressure' damage.

Here's an example. You you drop a raw egg onto the ground, it will probably break.

However, you don't have to drop an egg to break it. You don't even have to hit it. Put a raw egg gently on the counter. Now, gently place your hand on the egg. Now, slowly start pressing down on the egg, increasing the pressure slowly. Eventually, it will break.

Pressure damage is different from impact damage.

Nov 16, 2014 8:02 AM in response to Jcollura4

Jcollura4 wrote:

Right, but there are no cracks

There is no need for there to be an external crack for there to be internal damage.

Using my egg example again, wrap the egg in plastic wrap first, then apply pressure. The plastic wrap may not tear or crack itself, but the egg still will.

The picture you posted looks like pressure damage, which doesn't require there to be an impact or for there to be an external crack on the 'outside' screen. Pressure still transmits through materials. It's why, for example, a bullet proof vest still transfers some of the impact energy of a bullet impact to the user's torso, even though it stops the bullet from penetrating. Or, why if you touch your arm while you're wearing a long sleeve shirt, you still feel that touch.

Or, even better, if someone grabs your arm and squeezes it very hard, your shirt sleeve doesn't break or tear, your skin doesn't break or tear, but you get a bruise (sub-dermal hematoma).

How did I get damage under my skin if my skin didn't get damaged itself?

Broken digitizer: replace under warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.