Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) digital output has stopped working. It turns on the red light at the other side of the plug, but fails to connect with my receiver. Output from Airport works fine.

It was working fine until now, and now suddenly, the sound is gone. I've tried PRAM and SMC reset. Nothing works.

Using the same cable with my airport express, through airplay, the sound comes out fine.

It wasn't working when on Mavericks, nor now, on Yosemite.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 10:47 AM

1 reply

Nov 18, 2014 8:28 AM in response to marcalc

Hey marcalc,

Thanks for the question. I understand that you are experiencing issues with the digital output of your MacBook Pro. The following resource may provide a solution:

OS X Mavericks: If you can’t hear sound from your speakers

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13841

If you’re trying to listen through a digital receiver

• If you’re using your computer’s digital output port (not available on all computers), choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Sound, then click Output. Make sure Digital Output is selected.
  • Make sure your computer is connected to a digital-ready receiver using an optical digital cable, and that your receiver is set up for digital input (see the information that came with your receiver).
  • Try adjusting the volume on your receiver. You can’t use the computer’s volume controls to adjust the volume while using digital output.

Thanks,

Matt M.

My MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) digital output has stopped working. It turns on the red light at the other side of the plug, but fails to connect with my receiver. Output from Airport works fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.