Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG 4K TV Mac Mini Yosemite HDMI Scaling or Sizing of display content 55UB8500

Ok so unlike many other posts here, I have no problem with resolution output. I get 4k (3840x2160) no problem but my issue is the scaling. I want everything bigger! When I'm in 4k everything is very small and I want to be able to universally enlarge everything, not just desktop icons and that.. Currently I'm running in 1080p and size wise this is exactly how I want everything to appear, I just want it to be in 4k resolution. I called apple care and the basically told me the TV is not supported. This doesn't make sense to me seeing how it works just fine.. The issue is that under display settings I have no option "larger text - more space". It simply isn't there. Here's a sample shot of the screen I think I need which I found on another forum.User uploaded file

This is the only screen I get

User uploaded file

I'm not sure if this is something I'll just have to wait for an update on, but I don't see why this option has anything to do with the monitor (so long as it works). In theory isn't the monitor simply showing you what the computer sends through the cable? Why does scaling have anything to do with a TV/Monitor's software?

I'd love to get this issue sorted out so I can enjoy the 4k experience I've spent a lot of money to have. The TV is 55UB8500

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 12:50 PM

Download/install the Display Menu app for the Mac App Store. That worked for me.

7 replies

Nov 16, 2014 1:05 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks for the response, but I don't understand... Just to be clear, I don't need an easy shortcut for selecting different resolutions. That seems to be the only thing this app does.. My resolution is fine. Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a resolution that isn't there. It's there and it works. I need the ability to scale everything up in size while keeping the high resolution.

Nov 16, 2014 1:27 PM in response to PoorPaul

What happens when in the window you get, you click on scaled?

That should unlock the additional scaling options.

Though, the larger text - more space option scale, I think could be limited to "apple retina" screens.

I don't get that scale for instance on my computer monitors. I just get 1920x1200 and smaller. Which scales the whole thing. Maybe that's what you are mentioning as the problem, but it is not clear from the picture you posted, as it has best for display resolution.

There are one or two 3rd party display utilities that can help unlock display features, but I'd have to research whether one works with yosemite yet and whether either of them gives the option that you're seeking. Full resolution with bigger UI elements.

May 20, 2015 9:23 AM in response to PoorPaul

Paul,

Is the Monitor you are using the only monitor are are you using multiple?

Have you tried using the program called SwitchResX?
I've had the same problem with my ASUS PB287Q display on OS X Yosemite. But with SwitchResX I was able to put the display to 1080p HiDPI mode 😀.

The interface looked gorgeous using those 4K pixels to display like it was on full HD 🙂User uploaded file

User uploaded file

LG 4K TV Mac Mini Yosemite HDMI Scaling or Sizing of display content 55UB8500

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.