Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring a playlist from one ipod to another

All my music (about 2000 songs) is in my itunes library.

I selected about 250 songs for my ipod to use at the gym. Now, I have a NEW ipod.

How do I transfer the songs/playlist from the old ipod to the new one?

iPod nano

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 2:57 PM

5 replies

Nov 16, 2014 3:18 PM in response to badchad65

You don't... Since all of your songs are in your iTunes library, you set up syncing for the new iPod from that same iTunes library. iTunes treats each iPod separately, even if you connect both at the same time. If you want the same songs, sync the same songs. If you want different (or more songs), sync those songs.

A convenient way to set it up is to create one or more playlists in your iTunes library, with songs for your iPod (or you can use existing playlists). Then, select the iPod in iTunes so that you see its Summary settings screen. If it's the latest iTunes 12, on the iPod's screen, in the sidebar, under Settings, click Music. Over to the right, check the box for Sync Music. This enables automatic syncing. Below that, choose the option to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Below that, under Playlists, find the playlist or playlists with the songs you want on the iPod, and select (checkmark) them. Click Apply.

iTunes syncs the songs (and playlists) in your selection to the iPod. Going forward, to update songs on the iPod, just update those playlists in your iTunes library. The iPod does not need to be connected. Then next time you connect the iPod (or click Sync if already connected), iTunes automatically updates the iPod with the same changes.

Nov 16, 2014 3:24 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks. The main problem is that I don't want to have to pick through my entire music library (~2k of songs) to find the couple hundred I want on the ipod. I did that already for the old ipod.

Apparently there is no way to pull the playlist from the OLD ipod into the library for syncing to the new one.

thanks for the response. Looks like I'll have some time to myself picking and choosing.

Nov 16, 2014 3:35 PM in response to badchad65

That's why it is "convenient" to create one or more playlists to sync to the iPod. If you had done that with your old iPod, the playlists already exist in your iTunes library. You can just use the same playlists, and sync them to the new nano. You are done in a few minutes with a few mouse clicks, instead of "picking and choosing" for a few hours.

This time, instead of manually adding songs to your new iPod, you should set up the new nano for automatic syncing as described in my previous post; it also helps if you ever need to do a Restore on the iPod. You can Restore and re-sync in a few minutes, instead of "picking and choosing" again.

Dec 23, 2016 9:18 AM in response to badchad65

Apple needs to facilitate the creation of a playlist on a device (like a Shuffle) and then the simple and obvious ability to copy that playlist to the same location in iTunes where all the other playlists reside. Why this fundamental copy/paste function has not been provided (to serve a need which probably arises for every iTunes user in the world) is mystifying to me. (And no, not everyone wants to return to 'automatic sync'. Been burned too many times by that to ever go back to auto-sync!)

Transferring a playlist from one ipod to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.