Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up a hotspot on a macbook

I'd like to set up a hotspot using my iPhone 3G and my macbook. I found an online tutorial for this, but according to this, I should have the option of 'iPhone' listed under Airport and Ethernet in my network preferences, but this didn't come up. I'm wondering whether it's not possible to set up a hotspot on a macbook (bought in 2009, iOS 10.6.8), or whether there's another way of adding the option of iPhone that I'm missing.

Thanks!

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 2:14 PM

2 replies

Nov 18, 2014 9:23 AM in response to Rainyplaces

Hi, Rainyplaces.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you are wanting to use your iPhone as a personal hotspot for your Mac. I am not sure how you are attempting to connect and would need clarification on your iOS and iPhone model to provide a better answer. However, here are some resources that you will find helpful.

iOS: System requirements for Personal Hotspot

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574

iOS: Understanding Personal Hotspot

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4517

Cheers,

Jason H.

Nov 19, 2014 10:51 AM in response to jason269

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. Since posting this, I have set up a hotspot using Bluetooth (although today, for some reason this doesn't seem to be working.) I'm using an iPhone 3G and a MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8). I'm wondering how to set up a hotspot using USB. When I turn the hotspot on in Settings, and plug the phone into the computer, I'm not finding the option of 'USB' or iPhone in my network preferences. (Unless I'm not looking in the right place?) Is there anything else I need to do in order to set this up?

Thanks

How to set up a hotspot on a macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.