Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way windows computers can get iMessage?

I would like iMessage for Windows so that when i get busy i can reply to people with my computer

Windows Computer-OTHER

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 4:54 PM

18 replies

Apr 30, 2017 12:25 PM in response to henrypage

Hi,

On the other hand since iChat came out, which is what Messages is based on we have:-

AIM changing their app several times so that the Video chats to PCs became unusable.

MSN being effectively stopped.

FaceTime dropping their Jabber server so that they could develop their own messaging app.

Yahoo have had security concerns and have totally rebuilt their messaging app to the extent it is actually incompatible with any plugin or any earlier version of any called Yahoo Messenger. leading to Apple removing the plugin in Messages 10.

Microsoft buying out Skype.

All of them are doing it and constantly isolating their particular app from the others all the time.

User uploaded file

8:25 pm Sunday; April 30, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Aug 29, 2017 12:18 PM in response to Soccer20!!

Hi,

As Messages was released for Macs 6 Major Upgrades ago...

Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8)

Mavericks (10.9)

Yosemite (10.10)

El Capitan (10.11)

Seirra (10.12)

and very soon, High Sierra

... it is unlikely that Apple will release the app for Windows Computers.

User uploaded file

8:18 pm Tuesday; August 29, 2017

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 29, 2017 12:31 PM in response to gail from maine

Hi Gail,

henrypage's post was not the last post to be made in the Thread.

He (?) posted in May 2017.

Not that the answer has changed.

User uploaded file

8:31 pm Tuesday; August 29, 2017

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 29, 2017 2:20 PM in response to cbushy

It is Apple's unwillingness to share things like the iMessage on a PC platform that will eventually force me to buy an android phone and let the entire family replace their phones eventually to android to give access from our PCs to our mobile phones and tablets. Can't they see that people will get fed up with the exclusivity to their own operating system?

May 3, 2017 9:18 PM in response to henrypage

Hi Henry,

There is a lot behind their unwillingness. One main reason is the security. Apple is very particular about their clients security which was in place even before Android could work on it. Their exclusivity is one of the reasons why we don't experience system crash with data loss like we often do with Microsoft and Android. No dispute about the fact android makes it very convenient and accessible unlike Apple but ya like I said before there can be a compromise. Having said that i do not agree that Apple is 100% secure and I don't think they claim it to be either. Just my personal opinion.

Mar 4, 2015 10:29 AM in response to cbushy

There is a solution if you have an Apple Computer with iMessage in addition to a PC. If both computers have Chrome and the Chrome Remote Desktop, you can use your PC to control your Apple Computer remotely over a wifi connection.

Step 1: Download Chrome on both your Apple Computer and PC

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

Step 2: Download Chrome Remote Desktop on both computers

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphk hkmpfmihenigjmpp?hl=en

Step 3: Follow the Chrome Remote Desktop instructions on connecting two computers

Caveats

• You have to have both an Apple Computer and a PC
  • You have to keep your Apple Computer on all the time... I use an old macbook and hide it under my desk
  • Chrome Remote Desktop may lag depending on the wifi connections of your macbook and your PC

Jul 15, 2015 5:48 AM in response to cbushy

Has anyone found a solution to this? My family uses iMessage to communicate. On my Mac, if I saw a funny article, I could easily share it with others via iMessage. But at work, I have to use Windows and sharing seems impossible. While I understand that Apple doesn't provide a Windows client for iMessage, I had hoped that they'd at least provide a Web interface via icloud.com. But they hadn't. Figures, the one time I log into icloud.com - because there's really nothing there that I don't already have on all my devices - it doesn't have a tool that really would be useful outside the Apple walled garden :-(

I guess I need to resign myself to primitive e-mail based sharing :-(

Jul 15, 2015 11:32 AM in response to tjwolf

Hi,

The Messages app can also join AIM, Google and other Jabber servers (including Facebook chat) and Yahoo.

Some apps for PCs can also handle Bonjour chats.

User uploaded file

7:32 p.m. Wednesday; July 15, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jul 15, 2015 4:24 PM in response to tjwolf

If you don't like Apple's restrictions you can use another app. Skype supports multiple platforms as do many other chat clients (Whatsapp, Google talk, Cryptocat, Threema…).

It is inconvenient to expect others to install another app but if they have the same concerns as you they would be better off on another messaging system.

The EFF have a scorecard if you want to know which services are secure…

https://www.eff.org/secure-messaging-scorecard

is there a way windows computers can get iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.