Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot turn off Event Alerts for shared Google calendars in iOS8

I am using a Google Apps account for my calendars and through this have access to several shared calendars.

When I go into the Calendar app in iOS8, I then press the 'Calendars' button at the bottom of my screen, then I am shown all my iCloud calendars in one group then all the calendars from the one Google Apps account together in the next section.

The iCloud calendars (Home, Work, Family) all have a red ℹ next to them, which when I press it, I am able to scroll to the bottom of that screen and switch off 'Event Alerts' under 'Notifications'.

But there are no ℹ marks next to any of the Google Apps calendars.

This means that all of my shared calendars will give me notifications all the time, and I can’t switch them off.

Is there any way to turn off event alerts/ notifications for specific shared calendars?

Many thanks!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 6:44 PM

3 replies

Feb 11, 2015 8:02 PM in response to jodiemcneill

I have iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.3, and this is the solution that's working for me so far. However, I had to use the Calendar app on my Mac OS X (Yosemite) - not sure if there is another option for PC. Basically, I added the shared Google calendar to iCloud and told Google not to sync the shared calendar to my iPhone, so the shared calendar now shows up under the iCloud list of calendars and not the Google list (and thus the option to turn off alerts). Note: the shared calendars I'm using are read-only, so I don't know how well this would work if you need to edit events from iPhone. I hope this helps, and if anyone has a better solution, please share!

1. Turn on iCloud calendars on iPhone and Mac.

2. In browser, open the shared Google calendar settings and copy the iCal calendar address URL.

3. In Mac OS X Calendar app, subscribe to the shared Google calendar. File > New Calendar Subscription > paste shared Google calendar URL > click Subscribe

4. Set Location to iCloud. I checked Ignore Alerts because I also didn't want them on my Mac.

5. The shared calendar should now be listed on your iPhone calendars in the iCloud section with the red i.

6. Press the red i and scroll to the bottom and switch off Event Alerts.

7. Remove the shared calendar from the Google list by going to https://www.google.com/calendar/syncselect and unchecking the shared calendars.

Cannot turn off Event Alerts for shared Google calendars in iOS8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.