Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dark mode keeps resetting to normal mode

I'm using dark mode, but it keeps resetting to the normal mode.

This happens after reboot, wake up, and sometimes after starting an app that I use in fullscreen mode.

It seems like some applications reset this setting, and that it does not persist after reboot/sleep.

Please help! This annoys the cr*p out of me.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Bought in May this year.

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 1:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2014 12:04 AM

Hey maurits_, I found out what's causing this on my computer. It is f.lux which has a setting called "OS X Dark Theme at Sunset" which apparently disables the dark theme when the sun is up.

I can see in your log file that you're also running f.lux. I'm 99% sure that it is the problem, and not an OS X issue! Just disable that setting in f.lux and the issue should be resolved.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2014 12:04 AM in response to maurits_

Hey maurits_, I found out what's causing this on my computer. It is f.lux which has a setting called "OS X Dark Theme at Sunset" which apparently disables the dark theme when the sun is up.

I can see in your log file that you're also running f.lux. I'm 99% sure that it is the problem, and not an OS X issue! Just disable that setting in f.lux and the issue should be resolved.

Jul 13, 2015 4:30 AM in response to menehune23

I have been having the same problem: on the same model laptop as the OP. I knew it was f.luxe, but I didn't realize it was just that setting. I contacted the manufacturer about a month ago reporting the problem, but have not received a response. I can only hope they put out an update that fixes the problem, because I like the OS X Dark Theme At Night setting. Until then, thanks guys for saving my eyes (visually impaired person here who has to use the computer which "kills" my eyes)

Dec 12, 2014 11:32 AM in response to maurits_

1. User Launch Agents: ℹ️
  2. [loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist [Support]
  3. [invalid?] com.github.tdlm.os-x-self-destruct.plist [Support]
  4. [loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Support]
  5. [running] com.spotify.webhelper.plist [Support]
  6. [invalid?] homebrew.mxcl.mysql.plist [Support]
  7. [not loaded] org.virtualbox.vboxwebsrv.plist [Support]

1. User Login Items: ℹ️
  2. Flux Application (/Applications/Flux.app)
  3. iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)
  4. Breeze Application (/Applications/Breeze.app)
  5. Alfred 2 Application (/Applications/Alfred 2.app)
  6. Android File Transfer Agent Application (/Users/[redacted]/Library/Application Support/Google/Android File Transfer/Android File Transfer Agent.app)
  7. Seil Application (/Applications/Seil.app)
  8. Spotify Application (/Applications/Spotify.app)

It looks like you have a lot of 3rd party apps loading up during your OS boot process and after you are login in to your account. Since on the new user account everything seems to be working ok, i would suggest to remove all Login Items and user LaunchAgents first and the test it again.

OS X Yosemite: Open items automatically when you log in

OS X Yosemite: Login Items pane of Users & Groups preferences

To remove user LaunchAgents, you will need to user finder and move items from this folder into the trash. User Library by default is hidden - how to access hidden user Library: OS X Yosemite: Library folder

If you do not have Time Machine Backup (or any other sort of backup) yet, i would suggest to create one on some external HDD: Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

Dark mode keeps resetting to normal mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.