Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing Wi-fi and Internet Connectivity with Anker AH240 Hub Connected

I received an Anker A240 USB 3.0 Hub yesterday and it was working fine when I first installed it, however, when I came to use my MacBook Pro later that evening I found that I had lost my WiFi connection to my router. I could not reconnect and received a repeated error. I had to reset the NVRAM and SMC to get the MBP to connect to the router again. Even once connected to the router I found that I had no internet traffic, unplugging the hub immediately resolved. Internet traffic intermittently stops with the hub plugged in and unplugging resolves every time.

Anyone know what might be happening here and how to resolve, all I have connected to my hub is an Apple Keyboard, a Microsoft Intellimouse, Harman soundsticks and an iPad Air and iPhone 5.

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 13" 3GHz Intel Core , 8GB DDR3. 1 TB flash storage and OS X 10.9.5.

ps. I have read that there are compatibility issues between Apple hardware and USB 3.0 hubs?

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 4:17 AM

Just to follow up I have returned my hub, I contacted Anker and the response I received was that "USB 3.0 devices can occasionally interfere with WiFi signal. That is to say, 2.4Ghz wireless devices (keyboards, mice, wifi adapter, etc.) may not work around USB 3.0 ports. The USB 3.0 device may limit the sensitivity of any wireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This may result in a drop in the throughput on the wireless connection. So could you please use an USB 2.0 extension cord to move the USB 3.0 hub farther from the wifi and your PC to see if it helps?"

I will be going for a USB 2.0 solution...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2014 4:17 AM in response to Antony-D-Emanuele

Just to follow up I have returned my hub, I contacted Anker and the response I received was that "USB 3.0 devices can occasionally interfere with WiFi signal. That is to say, 2.4Ghz wireless devices (keyboards, mice, wifi adapter, etc.) may not work around USB 3.0 ports. The USB 3.0 device may limit the sensitivity of any wireless receiver whose antenna is physically located close to the USB 3.0 device. This may result in a drop in the throughput on the wireless connection. So could you please use an USB 2.0 extension cord to move the USB 3.0 hub farther from the wifi and your PC to see if it helps?"

I will be going for a USB 2.0 solution...

Losing Wi-fi and Internet Connectivity with Anker AH240 Hub Connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.