Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I attach a pdf file from dropbox using Mail app on Iphone 6?

I dont see a option to upload from Dropbox when I am using Mail or Gmail application on Iphone 6. It is critical to my business to have this option available since I am constantly sending PDF files when I reply to email strings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 7:11 AM

From within the iOS mail app, the only files you have access to for attachment purposes are those located in the Photos app. The Gmail app I cannot respond to. To send a file in Dropbox, you will need to start in Dropbox and use the File function (box with an arrow).

If this is something you need to accomplish on a regular basis, you might wish to consider an alternate email app. Mailbox can handle attachments from Dropbox (but is limited to Gmail and iCloud mail). there may well be others that will handles this.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2014 7:11 AM in response to GGtampa

From within the iOS mail app, the only files you have access to for attachment purposes are those located in the Photos app. The Gmail app I cannot respond to. To send a file in Dropbox, you will need to start in Dropbox and use the File function (box with an arrow).

If this is something you need to accomplish on a regular basis, you might wish to consider an alternate email app. Mailbox can handle attachments from Dropbox (but is limited to Gmail and iCloud mail). there may well be others that will handles this.

Nov 17, 2014 7:30 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

I recently changed to Mailbox but only have the option of sending the link to the dropbox file instead of the actual pdf document. Do you know by chance if this is something that can be done? I am in real estate and will definetly need this availability since I had it on my gmail app with android. I am new to Iphone and this is my only/ biggest issue so far.

Apr 21, 2015 11:10 AM in response to abdulaziz70

abdulaziz70 wrote:

you can open the pdf in the iBooks app, then you can share it by Email. it will open the mail app with the PDF attached.

As it would from the DropBox app. Absolutely no need to move it to iBooks to do that. In addition, the integration between DropBox and Mailbox has been updated since this was posted five months ago. It now does what the OP wanted in the first place, with some limitations.

Apr 14, 2016 7:11 AM in response to abdulaziz70

And a year later, apparently DropBox integration for attachments is now built into iOS 9 - but it doesn't work from inside DropBox like you would think.

FIrst you have to have DropBox installed on your IOS device.

Next you must enable DropBox as a file location for attachments. Open a new Mail message and long-press in the blank message body. From the popup menu you will need to choose Add Attachment (on iPad) or More and then Add Attachment (on iPhone)

The default popup selection window should be your iCloud files, but there will be a link on the upper left named "Locations." Click that link.

Click the "More" link in the list.

Click the buttons to turn on Dropbox and any other cloud services you have installed that you want to enable as attachment locations, such as Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive.

Start a new Mail message and long-press in the body, then click Add Attachments as before.

Now when you click the Locations link, Dropbox should appear as a clickable item in the popup list. Clicking on that should open a file picker window into your DropBox account where you can select files to be attached to your Mail message.

How do I attach a pdf file from dropbox using Mail app on Iphone 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.