Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need a new browser for older Macbook Pro

I have an older version of the MacBook Pro - ancient in computer terms. It is a 2006 Macbook with the 32-bit Intel processor, etc. It is upgraded as far as it will go in terms of hardware and software, but it is still stuck with the 32-bit system, which means browsers like Google Chrome no longer support it or send out security updates. If they haven't already dropped support for it, I imagine Apple won't be supporting my OS (Snow Leopard( anymore, either. 😟

The obvious solution is to buy a new Macbook, but I probably won't ever have the money to do so. This one still works just fine for what I need it for - email and Internet access for the most part - and (please don't throw stones 😝 ) I use my Windows desktop PC for work, gaming and everything else.

I am still using Google Chrome but I am looking into my options for alternate browsers. Are there any browsers for Mac that still support the older hardware and OS? (I think FireFox still does, but they seem to be heading the same way as Chrome and may not support it for much longer.)

I - and others like me - am probably running out of options and eventually will be stuck using an obsolete browser with security vulnerabilities, but I hope there is still a browser out there that will continue to get updates for older systems.

Suggestions are much appreciated.

Holly

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor with 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 3:38 PM

7 replies

Nov 17, 2014 6:18 PM in response to OakIris

I loathe ALL Google wares as they are all resource hogs on the Mac OS.

Ditch Google Chrome and download and install the latest Mozilla Firefox Browser.

You do not know when or if Mozilla will cease support for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

As long as the Mozilla group keeps issuing FireFox updates that are still compatible with OS X Snow Leopard, use this web browser until such time as Mozilla makes a formal announcement about their OS X support.

Mozilla only recently withdrew support for OS X 10.5 Leopard.

It maybe awhile before they withdraw support for Snow Leopard.

Use FireFox web browser.

Nov 20, 2014 9:56 AM in response to kahjot

Whoops, I didn't update my system info here when I installed version 10.6.8; corrected that this morning. Yes, indeed, the last update for Snow Leopard was installed on my MacBook when it first came out.

I have been using FireFox for a couple of days now with no issues. Nice to no longer have to deal with that Google Chrome nag that my browser would no longer receive updates due to the my system's hardware being too ancient!

Thank you all for your responses; your help is much appreciated. 🙂

Holly

Need a new browser for older Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.