Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios 8.1.1 makes me love my iPad again

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU Apple for the latest update!!!!

My iPad 2 is back to normal! No more Safari crashes and laggy typing.

I am so freaking happy right now! Faith restored.

😍

iPad 2, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 9:13 PM

20 replies

Nov 17, 2014 9:31 PM in response to JLEED80

I have had the same experience with iOS 8.1.1. Fixed my performance issues with iOS 8.x

FOr those that are are still having problems, I did do a full load from scratch with iOS 8.1 out of desperation when it was released which really did not seem to change any thing. That being said, when I loaded 8.1.1 my iPad had a fairly fresh install from scratch.

Hope all those iPad2s out there will get fixed by this update.

Nov 17, 2014 9:40 PM in response to ocjay

Same here.

Following the debacle of the initial install of iOS8, I ended up doing a total system delete and then restored with a fresh copy of iOS8 from iTunes on my PC, after first backing up of course.

It made a big difference, was much better, but still not as good as iOS7.

Have done the iOS8.1.1 install a couple of hours ago and it seems to have further improved.

I always find that after installing an update, its a good idea to turn the iPad off completely and on again a couple of times. Seems to settle the software down.

Oh, and by the way, if you have copied songs from your personal CD collection to your iPad, which is perfectly legal and legitimate, I might add, doing a backup either to iTunes or the Cloud doesn't back them up, it only backs up songs and videos and so on that were purchased from the iTunes store. This means you have to go back and reload all those songs from your PC via iTunes again.

Very poor form, Apple, that the "backup" doesn't back everything up!!! Whoever the twit was who decided that was a good idea needs a reboot themselves!

Nov 20, 2014 3:19 AM in response to Thomas McCullough Jr.

Hi,

I'm not so happy with the latest update 8.1.1. My iPad seems to become slower than it was with 8.1.

What did you exactly to to make you iPad 2 work again?

I just run the update via wi-fi. Opening the photo app takes almost 10 secs again (before it was 5, with iOS 7.1.2 maybe 1).

The slideshow crashed after some pictures ... I'm really unhappy right now

Nov 20, 2014 3:36 AM in response to nitewish

I Had spoken wit Apple support after 8.0 debacle.

As noted above, do a full backup either to iTunes or the cloud.

then do a complete fresh download to iTunes of 8.1.1.

Then wipe The iPad of everything. Of everything. You can find the procedure for this on this forum.

THen connect to iTunes and it should detect it, treat it as a new iPad and follow the prompts to install iOS8.1.1 and set up as ypu would a new iPad, then restore from the backup all ypur settings etc.

lastly, once all that was done, I turned it off, and turned it on 5 minutes later.

MIne is now back to just as good as iOS7. Working fine as far as I can tell.

Nov 20, 2014 3:45 AM in response to Moonlighter475

Moonlighter475 wrote:

Oh, and by the way, if you have copied songs from your personal CD collection to your iPad, which is perfectly legal and legitimate, I might add, doing a backup either to iTunes or the Cloud doesn't back them up,

Oh, and by the way. The iTunes or iCloud backup does not include any music, whether you bought it or not.

It might help you to know what does get backed up.

Here is the list.

Photos (photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken) and Saved Photos (in devices without a camera).

Contacts* and Contact Favorites. (You should regularly sync your contacts to a computer or cloud service, such as iCloud.)

Health (only if you have an encrypted backup).

Calendar accounts, events, and subscribed calendars.

Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.

Autofill for webpages.

Offline web app cache/database.

Notes.

Mail accounts. (Mail messages aren't backed up.)

Microsoft Exchange account configurations.

Call history.

Messages (iMessage and carrier SMS or MMS pictures and videos).

Voicemail token. (This isn't the voicemail password, but it is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card.)

Voice memos.

Network settings (saved Wi-Fi hotspots, VPN settings, and network preferences).

Keychain. (Includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some apps.)

If you encrypt the backup, you can transfer the keychain information to a new device. With an unencrypted backup, you can restore the keychain only to the same iOS device. If you're restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you'll need to enter these passwords again.

App Store app data. (Minus the app itself, its tmp, and Caches folder.)

App settings, preferences, and data, including documents. (PDFs downloaded directly to iBooks on an iOS device are not included in the backup. To back these up, go to File > Transfer Purchases.)

In-app purchases.

Game Center account.

Wallpapers.

Location service preferences for apps and websites you've allowed to use your location.

Home screen arrangement.

Installed profiles.

When you restore a backup to a different device, installed configuration profiles, such as accounts, restrictions, or anything that can be specified through an installed profile, aren't restored. Any accounts or settings that aren't associated with an installed profile will be restored.

Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.

Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.

Paired Bluetooth devices (which you can only use if restored to the same phone that did the backup).

Keyboard shortcuts and saved suggestion corrections.

Trusted hosts that have certificates that can't be verified.

Web clips.

Nov 21, 2014 11:19 AM in response to JLEED80

I am ******* hating iOS 8.1.1 on my iPad 2. iOS 8 was bad; made my iPad 2 almost unusable. When I initially downloaded 8.1.1, things did seem a lot better -- not as good as iOS 7 performance, but better than iOS 8. Then, yesterday my iPad performance bogged down again and it continues today. Just turned it off and on with no improvement. Apple seriously screwed the pooch with iOS 8 and 8.1.1. I'd go back to iOS 7 in a heartbeat, but that's not an option, either, which also ****** me off. Maybe a factory reset would make it better, but I really don't want to deal with restoring all my settings, apps, etc. I'm also unhappy that the iPad 2 is about last in the iPad line to be supported by Apple; it's not THAT old, for god's sake. I plan on getting a new iPad (despite my deep unhappiness with Apple right now) from Best Buy on Thanksgiving ($100 off) and selling my iPad 2 to Gazelle. I'm fortunate that I can afford to do it, unlike many others. Yeah, I know, Droid drones would call me stupid for sticking with Apple, but their universe has its black holes, too.

Nov 21, 2014 12:02 PM in response to JLEED80

im im envious then, because the problems I have are still present after installing 8.1.1 ( via wifi on my iPad Air).

for example that first sentence in pre iOS 8 versions would have had the first letter capitalised automatically, and no duplication. And my shortcuts used to work.

nnow I must type my sig manually...

(but only in Safari.)

terry, UK

Nov 21, 2014 11:39 PM in response to jfinn52

I thought my iPad would run okay now but yesterday I hated it!

It said 970 pictures - I deleted all of them and it still said 970 pictures. once again I restored it. First set up as new which didn't make it faster or better running. Then I couldn't login into my icloud acount. restored it from my last backup, suddenly my App Store was in English everything else still in German. Syncing with iTunes never stopped. Wonder what it will do today :-(

Still missing 7.1.2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ios 8.1.1 makes me love my iPad again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.