Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Adobe CS3+CS4 work in OS above 10.6.8 ?

I want to continue using CS3+CS4, mainly Dreamweaver CS3 and Fireworks CS4, plus some Photoshop & Acrobat Pro in CS4. All ran well on my mid-2007 Macbook Pro (MA896LL) with OS 10.6.8. But this MBP failed recently, due to heat, and for my next Mac(s) two options are a 2010 Macbook (MC516LL) that can run OS 10.6, or a 2012 Mac Mini with i5 (MD387LL) that will not run OS 10.6 but does offer other benefits. (of course, running an OS higher than 10.6 also offers benefits!)

Will Dreamweaver-CS3 and Fireworks-CS4 run properly in all ways, with higher OS, with 10.7 or 8, 9, 10?

Does the kind of computer make a difference for this? For example, would these programs behave differently in OS 10.9 on the 2010-Macbook or 2012-Mini? (probably not, I assume)

These questions are important in deciding what to buy, but... now, because I don't have a Mac, I cannot do experiments (try the two programs with each OS) to see what happens. So I'm hoping you can help (thanks in advance!) by sharing your experience and knowledge.

FWIW, the Mac programs in CS3 and CS4 are 32 bit, if that makes any difference in OS-compatibility.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), until recently

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 6:52 AM

Application Compatibility

You can run Snow Leopard in a virtual machine if you want the newer computer.

Parallels

VirtualBox

VM Fusion

Snow Leopard server for use with the above. Call 1-800-692-7753 and order part number MC588Z/A. Cost is $19.99 + sales tax and shipping.

Virtual Machine for 10.7/10.8

12 replies

Nov 18, 2014 6:56 AM in response to CraigRu

Many users are having no issues using CS3 even in Mavericks. Haven't heard much yet on Yosemite. One common thing in Yosemite is that users who upgraded (installed Yosemite over the previous OS) found that CS5 can CS6 suddenly stopped working. Reinstalling the Adobe software after installing Yosemite fixes it.

Do be aware that CS3 is OLD in computer years. It was the first Intel version of Adobe's production apps. So while it will run, you may experience some odd glitches, depending on how you use it. Since it is a 32 bit only app, you can't use 64 bit plugins. The CSx apps can only use plugins that are the same bit depth as the app.

Older versions of Acrobat Pro that rely on the print driver will not work.

Rule number 1. Make a full, restorable clone of your drive first. If you find you can't work around the issues of a new OS, you can restore your Mac back to its previous state.

Nov 19, 2014 8:31 PM in response to kahjot

Thanks for the useful ideas, Eric (if necessary, “run Snow Leopard in a virtual machine”) and Kurt (encouraging about success being a good way to bet, but cautious with no guarantees) and kahjot (re: a possible problem).

I've bought two semi-old fairly cheap machines, one (Macbook) that allows Snow Leopard, and one (Mini) that won't. They're “in the mail” and next week I'll do higher-OS experiments, beginning with Mavericks, hoping everything works.

I may have to do several installations -- with two Macs and at least two OS -- so could this cause problems with install-limits? I think it's been installed 3 times (twice on my 2006 iMac, then once on my 2007 MB Pro that just failed due to a heat-damaged GPU but I have an image of the pre-failure hard disk) with no de-authorizations. I've heard about this limit but know very little about it, just found a page about Removing Deactivation Limitthat may (or may not) say the limit is off. [how would Adobe do this from afar?] Or is it still on?

Nov 20, 2014 6:52 AM in response to CraigRu

Adobe keeps track of activations and deactivations on their servers. I little secret is once any given serial number has been activated 99 times, it can no longer be activated at all without calling Adobe and having it reset. But the chances any owner would actually activate any serial number that many times before moving on to the newer version is practically nil.

Most important is that you are allowed a maximum of two active installations. So you could for instance have Photoshop activated on both your home desktop Mac, and on a laptop. Activating it on a third device would require deactivating it on one of the other two, first.

That's what kahjot was getting at. If you never had the opportunity to deactivate the Adobe apps on the failed Mac, then as far as Adobe's servers are concerned, you still have one activation counting against you. That won't stop you from doing another activation on your newer, or other Mac, but you'll be limited to one. To get two activations going again, you'll have to call Adobe, give them proof you own the serial number (sales invoice, or have them look at your registered products list on their site if you created an account there) so you can have them reset the counter to zero.

Nov 23, 2014 3:14 PM in response to Kurt Lang

kahjot and Kurt, thanks for your help. Since 2008, I've activated CS3 and CS4 on two computers, and both are damaged, perhaps beyond being able to run CS3 and CS4.

In another forum, someone said the de-activation process is: launch a program [any program in CS3, and then in CS4?], click on Help, click on De-Activate (or Transfer Activation), and await a message about success or failure of the action. For both CS3 and CS4, I have my DVDs & Serial Numbers. The problem is "launch", which may not be possible because:

Recently my 2007 Macbook Pro failed (due to heat-damaged GPU) and won't boot, but CS3 and CS4 were working until the failure, and are still on the MB Pro's hard disk, and now on an external hard disk, as a hd-image and as individual files. But the MB Pro cannot boot to run the programs, or access the internet, so how can I make Adobe's servers (on the internet) recognize that "CS3 is running on Craig's MB Pro, and he is deactivating CS3 on this MB Pro"?

My 2006 iMac works (CPU, etc) but CS3 & CS4 were not on the computer, after a new system-install, when the iMac was damaged in a way making it impossible to access a DVD Player, either internal or external. Thus, I cannot install. Could the iMac launch a CS3 program (and then CS4 program) from the external hard disk (using CS3 and CS4 from the hard disk of my Macbook Pro) and, because it's running on the iMac, Adobe sees this and recognizes my de-activation request?

Is there any way to de-activate both of these computers?

Nov 23, 2014 4:04 PM in response to Kurt Lang

After writing the two paragraphs below, with questions, I reached a conclusion: Probably the easiest way to know is to just do the experiment -- I call Adobe, explain the situation, and say "confirmation from a legitimate repair service is available if necessary."

And here were my questions:

If "with neither Mac working... you can't [de-activate]," then maybe I can have an expert repair person (Matt at MacHelpOC) confirm the failed Macbook Pro, since he now has it and knows it's failed. And I can bring in the iMac to show him that it cannot access any DVD, internal or external. Do you think his confirmation would be necessary, or helpful, or would Adobe just take my word for it?

How would each computer be identified in Adobe's database? Could he easily get this ID (a number, or whatever it is) from each computer? Or could he just say "Craig used to have 2 computers on which he ran CS3 & CS4, and now he has none"?

Nov 25, 2014 9:41 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Yesterday the Macbook arrived (made in 2008, so it runs 10.6.8), and two installs (CS3, CS4) were successful. For the next set of installations,* if Adobe requires a de-activation would the following plan work?

____My conclusion, after writing the paragraphs below, is "probably not" because (if Adobe doesn't check to see what computer CS is activated on) accepting this kind of de-activation would make it easy for someone to fake a de-activation by cloning the hard disk of a still-working computer, de-activating CS3/4 on that cloned disk-image, then continue using CS3/4 on the still-working computer and also (because they have fooled Adobe into thinking it's not active) an extra computer, using only one of the two activations. So this probably isn't allowed by Adobe. If necessary, probably I'll just have to contact Adobe, with the repairman to confirm the failure of my Macbook Pro with one of the CS3/4 installations.

____Well, here was the idea:

____My recently failed Macbook Pro had CS3 and CS4 installed. The repairman recovered the entire hard drive (200 GB) and put it onto an external hard drive (4000 GB) as individual files and also as a cloned disk-image. To de-activate, could I re-start the new computer in the old 10.6.8 (with "Startup Disk" in System Preferences) using this disk image, open Dreamweaver-CS3 (then deactivate) and Fireworks-CS4 (then deactivate)? Would the CS3 and CS4 on this disk-image be recognized by Adobe as being "one of my previous installs" that therefore would not count as being active, after they're deactivated?

____How to do this? I don't know much about clones. To get the old CS3/CS4 "recognized by Adobe" would this require putting the cloned "old Macbook Pro" into its own partition of a hard disk? Or could I just start from the individual files of the un-cloned OS? (In "System Startup" today, on another external hard disk I saw an OS 10.6.3 from a backup many years ago. I could choose it and re-start in 10.6.3, but... my question is about how to re-start so Adobe recognizes the old CS3/CS4 as a "previous activation on the old Macbook.") Or maybe I could connect the hard disk with this cloned "old Macbook Pro" to my old half-working iMac, and de-activate CS3/4 from the iMac.

___ * The 2012 Mac Mini should arrive today, but I won't try CS3/CS4 on it (to see if it will install, and will run OK on 10.9.5) until later. After doing the experiments, I'll report back about the results.

Nov 25, 2014 10:12 AM in response to CraigRu

It's kind of hard to answer that, because not recognizing the hardware is a actually a yes/no thing. For instance, I have the CC apps on my Mac under Mavericks and is activated. I also have Yosemite installed on a test partition, also with CC installed. When I first launched one of the CC apps under Yosemite, it asked to activate the software since there was no record of it being activated on that partition (it keeps track by various files on each partition, besides its own servers). Now, you would think that would count as two activations, but it doesn't. Adobe's servers do recognize that I activated the same serial number on the same hardware, just under two different versions of OS X. But if I boot to the Windows 7 install on the same Mac hardware, install any CC app there and activate it, that now does count as a second activation since Adobe's servers sees Windows as being a completely different computer, even though it's the same hardware. I would now have to deactivate CC under Windows or OS X in order to activate it on another computer. Confusing it is. 🙂

Basically, you'll just have to see what does, or doesn't work as far as activating your apps. If you manage to get two completely different installs to function, then missing the opportunity to deactivate the previous installs on the defunct Macs is a moot point. If you find you can't get more than one activation to work, then it mattered that the old installs weren't deactivated.

Will Adobe CS3+CS4 work in OS above 10.6.8 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.