Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble restarting after installing latest Yosemite Upgrade. It hung up for over an hour

I installed the latest Yosemite upgrade on my 2013 iMac. At the end of the install, it hung up while restarting and I turned it off after an hour. The diagnostics test came out OK. I'm checking in to see if others had this problem and I should do more. I was beginning to chat with Apple Support but lost contact.

Advice?

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 10:43 PM

5 replies

Mar 21, 2015 8:51 AM in response to dtsteele

Another user gave a tip on a different thread-- same question.

If you can open terminal (that is, dock still works although menu bar may be gone), open it.

At terminal, enter

sudo reboot

at the prompt. The password to use is the Mac's management/administrator password.

When it comes back up, go back into the App Store under "Updates" and if the update hasn't finished, continue it from there (I had to hit restart button, and this worked for me).

Mar 21, 2015 1:37 PM in response to dtsteele

I had this problem too. I simply forced shut down the machine and boot it up again. It worked fine. I wouldn't recommend this method though if you don't have some sort of backup.

Trouble restarting after installing latest Yosemite Upgrade. It hung up for over an hour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.