Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mainstage 3 and Kontakt Player 5 - CPU issues

Hey there!

I am new to Mainstage 3 and I totally love the way it lets musicians focus on making music live. I have spent a great deal of time to optimize the software for my needs and I have come across one issue that I could not solve. Maybe you can help:

I want to use Mainstage mainly for vocal effects and piano. Although I think that the Mainstage pianos are quite nice in their price class I want to use my Galaxy Vintage D piano that runs via Kontakt Player 5 by Native Instruments. Thing now is: When I open up Mainstage and use it solely for vocal effects and at the same time open up Kontakt Player 5 and use it as stand-alone for piano my Macbook Pro faces no problems. CPU is the bottleneck I guess (Intel Core Duo 2) but RAM should be fine (8 GB) and my SSD also improves performance I hope. So, when I open up both softwares separately there are no problems here.

When I try to play my Vintage D piano within Mainstage 3 by creating a software instrument, selecting Kontakt Player 5 and open the Vintage D library Mainstage 3 fails badly. After playing 2 or 3 (!!) tones my CPU crashes and it is impossible to play. Why is that and what can I do here? I mean, opened up separately both softwares work just fine at the same time, but my piano is not included in Mainstage 3 😟 And when I include it my CPU crashes. So there is a huuuuuuuuuge difference in performance I cannot explain. Maybe some of you face similar problems and know what to do? I tried to play aroung with audio settings a little, but I didn't succeed.

Thanks for your support!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10), 8 GB RAM and SSD

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 2:43 AM

11 replies

Nov 18, 2014 3:39 AM in response to CCTM

Thanks for you quick answer! I am thankful for your help. I tried the above, but there is no great effect here. Now I can play 4 tones before it crashes 😀 What I simply don't get is that I can use both instruments separately (Vintage D even with Kontakt FX like reverb and high polyphony!) and everything works totally fine. In Mainstage I am so far away from any stable setting and that makes me wonder. I assume this has to do something with how CPU is used or divided up between software. Or the integration of Kontakt 5 is absolutely bad. Or I am making mistakes in my set-up. I hope to receive more input and thanks again for helping me!

Nov 19, 2014 6:19 AM in response to bluepian

Hi

What are your Audio I/O Buffer Preferences set to ( including the Advanced ones)? Have you tried upping the buffer etc?

Do you have any other Kontakt libraries that you can try to compare performance over the Galaxy?

I also note that you are Running Yosemite OS? I think that K5 Player may not be fully compatible?

CCT

Nov 21, 2014 12:15 AM in response to CCTM

I had the same problem when I started to use mainstage. That was with mainstage 2 And Kontakt but know I use version 3.

I had a lot of different patches with kontakt and it crashed all the time, but I started to use kontakt as a standalone player and created external instrument in mainstage and controlled it with program change with a instrument bank in kontakt.

I don't know why it crashed but it works fine this way since then. Been using it for 3 years.

Hope it works out!

Nov 29, 2014 6:16 AM in response to danielfromeskilstuna

Thanks for all your help. I tried all of your ideas and I can now state that CPU or buffer size doesn't seem to have any great effect. When I increase buffers etc. problem is all the same. I can't see any improvements here. I would be interested in knowing more about the external instruments solution. That seems to be interesting for me too, since Kontakt in stand-Alone and MainStage in stand-alone work fine together. Very strange thing though 🙂

Jan 13, 2015 9:46 PM in response to bluepian

I've been hunting all over the web to find a solution for this issue of Kontakt in MainStage, but I have found nothing so far. I would like to add some of my experience to this thread to maybe define the problem further.

I have loaded up Kontakt 5 as an input for a single patch in an empty concert in MS. The Kontakt 5 multi uses Scarbee A-200 and Mark I layered on the same midi channel. If I play 4 or 5 notes with the sustain down, my cpu meter in MS goes up to 100% - sound crackles and drops out. Conversely, cpu usage in activity monitor shows only 40%. MS memory indicator stays in a range lower than 1/4. Additionally, I verified that multi processor support was turned off in Kontakt, as it is not recommended when in use with a host application.

Now, when I switch to Kontakt 5 as a Standalone and load the exact same multi as I used before, things are very different. In this mode, I can use the sustain pedal and hold down as many keys as possible with my forearm and run my hands up and down the keyboard with the resulting cpu load only being about 25-30%.

Finally, when I try loading Kontakt 5 in Logic Pro X and used the same multi. The result was better than MS, with cpu monitor going to about 75% when holding the pedal and pressing as many notes as possible. This is strange, since the cpu usage in Logic should be much higher than MainStage, yet MS is still the bigger hog.

In all instances, latency is set to 64 samples, and I have only safari open, to compose this message. I have been working on this for several hours over the last two days - My wife and kids need me to come out of my cave and join them, so I have to move on, but I really hope someone can shed some light on this, as I am at a complete loss for how to get this to work properly. When so many thousands of dollars are invested into a setup, it's really disappointing when it doesn't work.

Regards,

Macbook Pro

2.3 GHz Core i7

8GB RAM

OS X 10.9.5

Mainstage 3 and Kontakt Player 5 - CPU issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.