Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone knows how to change the keyboard layout in single user mode, please ?

Hello,

The question is in the title.

Thank you.

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 6:58 AM

3 replies

Nov 26, 2014 5:21 PM in response to okay69

The only way you might do it is use one of the Unix editors to edit the plist file it gets the settings from once it boots in the GUI mode. 'vi' is present in all Macs, and you might have pico, nano, emacs, or ed depending on what was installed. The keyboard layout while in single user mode itself I think is generic to where the Mac was bought and what keyboard was ordered with it, when it came from the store. Since you posted in the 10.3 or earlier forum, chances are if this has changed, few people would know for certain. If you have a newer Mac, say 2006 or later, you should really post in the correct forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2463

Nov 27, 2014 3:45 AM in response to a brody

Hello a brody,

Thank you for your answer. I understand there is no way to change it in single user mode, but now I'm wondering if there is a way to parse the characters via bash to an AZERTY layout.

And sorry for the mistake, I will move the post in the correct forum. Actually when I posted it, I was on an apple doc page and asked a question about it so I didn't choose the forum.

EDIT: It looks like I'm not able to move it, seeing as it's attached to the apple doc page about single user mode.

Nov 27, 2014 5:28 AM in response to okay69

okay69 wrote:

I'm wondering if there is a way to parse the characters via bash to an AZERTY layout.

It's not clear what you mean by this. Could you explain what you need to do? If you just need to know which key does what in an AZERTY or a QWERTY layout, this can be seen via Keyboard Viewer or someone could provide graphics of it to you.

What version of OS X are you using? This forum is for one that is 10 years out of date.

Does anyone knows how to change the keyboard layout in single user mode, please ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.