Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite cannot be installed on "Macintosh HD"

When trying to upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite I get this:

Yosemite OS X cannot be installed on "Macintosh HD".

This is a late 2009 iMac with 4G RAM and 1TB of hard disk space.

Suggestions please.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 3.6GHz 32G RAM 32TB HD Memory

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 9:04 AM

10 replies

Nov 18, 2014 12:23 PM in response to TheOS2Guy

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Select

/var/log install.log

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen. The contents of the log will appear on the right. Each log message begins with a timestamp. Select the messages from the time of the last installation or update attempt. If you're not sure when that was, click the Clear Display button in the toolbar of the Console window and then try the installation again. Select the new messages that appear. Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

☞ If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

☞ When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

☞ Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

☞ Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting. You may need to use a text editor with search and replace, such as TextEdit.

Jul 4, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Linc Davis

If the problem was solved?

Here is extractes from my install.log.0.bz2 (becauase in install.log there is only one line : logfile tuend over due to size>1000K)

Jul 4 14:52:28 Nikolays-MacBook-Pro.local InstallAssistant[406]: No available package ref for compatibility update. Ignoring.

Jul 4 14:52:28 Nikolays-MacBook-Pro.local InstallAssistant[406]: Disk IADisk_10_6: disk0s2 Macintosh HD: failed volume-check: {

NSLocalizedDescription = "";

NSLocalizedFailureReason = "This disk is used for Time Machine backups.";

}

Jul 4 14:52:30 Nikolays-MacBook-Pro.local InstallAssistant[406]: Using product <OSSoftwareUpdateCatalogProduct> from product keys (null) at distance 25

Jul 4 15:32:59 Nikolays-MacBook-Pro newsyslog[422]: logfile turned over due to size>1000K

Aug 5, 2015 7:43 PM in response to TheOS2Guy

I also have this problem on a Mid 2011 27 inch iMac running OS X 10.8.5

My Macintosh HD has never been used as a storage device for time machine. Time machine backups are all to external disks

I have run Verify disk on disk utility, and it says everything is ok. the "enable journaling" option is not available under disk utility either!

there is no Backups.backupdb folder. on my Device

Yosemite cannot be installed on "Macintosh HD"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.