Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers one through nine have randomly stopped working on my built in Keyboard. Does anyone know why? I have a MacBook Air.

I was on a website and I had to type in a quantitiy in numbers when I realized that one through nine on my built in keyboards on my macbook stopped working. Shift doesn't change anything. I was switching back and forth between a word document and the website. When I turn on my keyboard viewer and press down on the number it does not become highlighted in the viewer. I'm clueless. Does anyone know what to do to get my numbers working again?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Safari 7.0.5

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 3:47 PM

12 replies

Nov 19, 2014 4:44 AM in response to BDAqua

Yeah, I'm not very optimistic about this one. If I open up the Keyboard Viewer and click on the numbers they do get entered in a Word or Text Edit. Of course this is very inconvenient. Any suggestions? Sounds to me like a hardware malfunction, but why numbers one through nine. Everything else on the keyboard works just fine.

Nov 21, 2014 5:54 PM in response to tuvascott

Do you folks realize this thread is in the Tiger (10.4) forum? I sit astride a dinosaur PB Pismo and only drop in here every couple of days. . BDAqua can get it moved if ya'll think it is worth it.

what about the zero ' 0 ' ?? do the other top row (not ƒ keys row) keys work? ` ~, - _, = +, delete

are these misbehaving keys "sticky" at all?

since you are away, have you tried cleaning the keys? I don't have a MBAir, but most keyboards come out pretty easy with a couple of clip-buttons. If it is still under warranty, be careful how deep you delve so as not to void it.

There is an Apple KB doc on exterior clean/disinfect, but that doesn't seem relevant. Google search needs to know year model for fine tuning search and how-to. this search yields a top result that is an apple KB doc on how to ident your MBA https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=macbook+air+keyboard+cleaning - ifixit.com has many pages that seem accurate and safe. I have used these on my PB Pismo with no problems.

happy trails and come home safe

ÇÇÇ

Nov 22, 2014 12:48 PM in response to BDAqua

howdy agin, there BD, mi amigo!

what I couldn't figger out is why it was here to begin with... Hardware issue, clearly - MacBook Air post-dates Tiger by quite a while - OP's Product Info states Mavericks? Seemed like a JiveWare glitch or just an oversight by the OP. OP isn't even Following any threads here in Tiger.

go figger

adios

ÇÇÇ

Nov 22, 2014 3:55 PM in response to BDAqua

agree ... to a de-gree. I have seen questions mere seconds old in a forum list - Using ASC for example - that when navigated to, the 'breadcrumb' line says for instance...

User uploaded file

... really IS called that officially in the coding

IMHO as an interactive designer/developer for just under 2 decades, it is a combination of the last step in the New Q posting process's ever-so-slight ambiguity for newcomers and the JiveWare 'Smart Search' suggestions. Once you get the hang of it = all good.

Our friend bobsuefert [ 👿 ] has posited that the JiveWare has become *A*ware and has developed a sense of humor as well. 😎

Nov 23, 2014 10:24 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua

I accidentally hit the numlock key recently on my Pismo - this disables the number keys 1 2 3 4 5 & 6 is actually 'clear' and switches the

7 8 9

u i o

j k l

m

to

7 8 9

4 5 6

1 2 3

Now I know that the MacBook Air and many more Macs have discontinued the 'numlock' KEY and therefore its function, BUT it got me to thinking, so I did a little Google research...

It seems that quite a few Apps have functions associated with the 'numeric keypad' that can be achieved on laptops that have none by engaging the numlock.

There was a workaround for MBAir (et al) - plug-in a USBkeyboard that DOES have numlock and voila! - the COMPUTER & OS function fine.

I wonder what would happen if one were to plug in a USB keyboard > engage the numlock > press keys on the laptop keyboard? Both would work, I think.

If so, what would happen if one were to leave the numlock engaged and UNPLUG the USB keyboard? Would the computer know to disengage the numlock function? If not, would it require replugging the USB to disengage? Would restarting reset it? If this function is happening in software (it is in fact as there are many Apps that can assign functions to keys and so does OS X in Tiger's Keyboard & Mouse PrefPane > Keyboard Shortcut TAB - tons of 'em!!)

Could the Original Problem here be in software? Some App running that hijacked the keyboard while active in the browser? He did say it went away!! and would look into it when returned from trip.

my brain hurts (Monty Python)

ÇÇÇ

Nov 24, 2014 12:41 PM in response to BDAqua

BD,

Your avatar has gone missing - everywhere I checked, not just this thread...

User uploaded file

RE: this thread... I did NOT receive an email notice of the post to which I am replying !! I just happened to be making my tri-weekly rounds of the forum

Yet another 'glitch du jour' (or two?)

I joined your merry phpBB & IMed you from there announcing my presence

buenos tardes

ÇÇÇ

Numbers one through nine have randomly stopped working on my built in Keyboard. Does anyone know why? I have a MacBook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.