Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 in a 2008 Mac Pro?

In an effort to upgrade my Mac Pro graphics card, I viewed an Apple support page and bought a card that Apple listed as compatible with my model. But my Mac won't boot with the new card. I'm wondering if there might be more to this than I realized, such as a need for the card to have different firmware.

My Mac is a Mac Pro Early 2008, model MacPro3,1, running the latest version of Yosemite (10.10.1). The graphics card is an NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600. I have no other info on the card.

The card required two Mini-PCIe 6-Pin to PCI-Express 6-Pin power cables, so I bought a second one and connected it. When I tried to start my Mac with the Quadro FX 5600, the screen remained black. I couldn't tell whether the Mac was starting up or not, but I think not because when I forced a hardware shutdown, the machine was off in only about a second.

Is there something else I need to do to get this card to work with my Mac? Can it work with my Mac?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Jon

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 20 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 5:47 PM

4 replies

Nov 18, 2014 6:12 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you, Grant.

I'm betting that the card is not a Mac edition. I bought it on eBay -- new, but without the original packaging, so I don't know that there's a way to check for this.

If it's not a Mac edition, is there a way to modify it so as to make it into one? I keep reading about flashing the RAM on PC cards for use with Macs. Is that an option with this card, and would flashing the RAM apply here?

Nov 18, 2014 6:16 PM in response to Jonathan Greenberg

In later version of Mac OS X a lot of cards gained support anyway. Just be sure you have waited the appropriate amount of time before deciding it won't show any picture.

If no joy, then flashing (re-writing the firmware on the card) may be an option. Readers can point you to Posts or Posters on the MacRumors forum that talk about that.

NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 in a 2008 Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.