Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display Firmware 1.2 broke the USB inside the display.

So, I've had problems with this working since it came out.

I'm running a MBP Retina, 10.0.1 Yosemite.

TB Display (TBD) is on FW 1.2.

Just figured out,

When the MBP sleeps, then wakes, the USB inside the TBD is dead...no more.

Here's the things that won't work:

Audio

The ports (USB) on the rear of the TBD.

The Display FaceTime Camera.

This also kills the ports on the MBP until the TBD is disconnected...then everything on the MBP is fine.

Reconnect TBD, it works fine too...until the MBP sleeps...then it dies.

Anyone know how to downgrade firmware?

I've also checked the system report, everything is showing "connected" ... and all the firmwares are current.

Thunderbolt Display (27-inch), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 7:13 PM

35 replies

Nov 20, 2014 1:09 PM in response to Rich of the North

Have you tried o boot in recovery mode with Option down? when I do that I don't have the choice anymore to choose the startup disk. I discovered that On most portables, a yosemite install will convert your hard drive or SSD into a core storage volume. A core storage volume is used for things like fusion drives and more importantly file vault encryption. It seems that this core storage volume is the cause of the power loss in the TB display. I found out that

It is possible to revert the CS volume back to a normal volume (if you haven't encrypted it yet). I did that and all the power problem in my thunderbolt display are gone!

Run these 2 commands in a terminal.

diskutil cs list

and then

diskutil coreStorage revert lvUUID

where lvUUID is the last lvUUID reported by the previous Terminal command.

Then restart for everything to get back to normal after you have run these commands in Terminal.

Then also the recovery partition will show up again in the startup manager when you boot up with the option key.

Nov 21, 2014 4:51 AM in response to Ormboet

The problems seems more related to how Yosemite handles thunderbolt-displays with an external USB drive connected to the display.

Which is ironic given the 1.2 firmware update description in the App store says 'This update improves reliability when connecting devices to the Apple Thunderbolt Display'.

As a side note, as well as the RAID disk, I'm also running an RGB display using a thunderbolt adapter, which I daisy chain off the second thunderbolt port on the RAID.

The second display still works fine in this mode, but not when connected directly to the TBD thunderbolt port.

The MBP doesn't recognise the second display when it's in the TBD's thunderbolt, but it does recognise it when it's plugged straight into the MBP, or daisy chained off the RAID.

Thunderbolt Display Firmware 1.2 broke the USB inside the display.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.