Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i install OS X Yosemite after download please help

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 18, 2014 6:14 PM

14 replies

Nov 18, 2014 6:35 PM in response to bobuc

You need to be able to boot the computer from another disk such as an external drive, an installer DVD that can boot the computer, or you can connect the computer to another computer using either Firewire or Thunderbolt.

Or you are trying to install Yosemite onto another drive connected to your computer. But so far you have provided no information to help us help you.

Nov 18, 2014 10:36 PM in response to Kappy

Am using Macintosh HD and am running on OS X Version 10.8.5 . so when i finished downloading this OS X Yosemite , i click the installation wizard , after i agreed on Terms and Condition and suppose to click install , but the Install wizard was not highlighted , so clicked on the Macintosh HD , a small pop says "The disk doesn't use the GUID partition Table Scheme. Use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme . select the disk , choose the partition tab, select the volume scheme and then click option " . so now i want to know how to select the disk to over right the previous version and not creating a different disk to run the OS X Yosemite . Thanks for the time

Nov 19, 2014 5:28 AM in response to bobuc

Am using Macintosh HD and am running on OS X Version 10.8.5 . so when i finished downloading this OS X Yosemite , i click the installation wizard , after i agreed on Terms and Condition and suppose to click install , but the Install wizard was not highlighted , so clicked on the Macintosh HD , a small pop says "The disk doesn't use the GUID partition Table Scheme. Use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme . select the disk , choose the partition tab, select the volume scheme and then click option " . so now i want to know how to select the disk to over right the previous version and not creating a different disk to run the OS X Yosemite . Thanks for the time

Nov 19, 2014 6:55 AM in response to bobuc

Do you have a backup of your documents and third-party apps?

If you are trying to install on Macintosh HD and it needs to be updated to GUID partition table scheme, you will need to be able to restore.

Do you have an OS X install disk, or an external drive with OS X, from which you can boot and run Disk Utility to reformat Macintosh HD?

(What model/year is your MacBook Pro?)

Nov 20, 2014 10:34 AM in response to bobuc

Erase an external disk then clone your internal disk to the external one

Clone Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue

button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it

to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.