Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

McAfee is not working with OS x 10.10.1 - do I need it

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.1

I have an iMac (27 inch, Mid 2011)

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Start up Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB

This is my 1st posting for help, so please excuse me if I am not following the correct procedures. Yesterday I installed the latest update for Yosemite and at the end of the process I was advised that the McAfee security software would not work with the update 10.10.1. My question is do I need McAfee, or does my iMac have it's own Firewall and other security systems already in place. I would welcome any recommendations on alternative security packages, that members use, if they are working with this latest update.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 6:05 AM

DO NOT install any security, antivirus, cleaning or any other third party maintenance apps on a Mac. Not only are the 100% unnecessary they tend to either create more problems than they solve or are malware themselves! Follow the developers instructions for uninstalling McAfee and if you have any of the other types of apps installed please do the same with them.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2014 6:05 AM in response to Len Bradshaw

DO NOT install any security, antivirus, cleaning or any other third party maintenance apps on a Mac. Not only are the 100% unnecessary they tend to either create more problems than they solve or are malware themselves! Follow the developers instructions for uninstalling McAfee and if you have any of the other types of apps installed please do the same with them.

Nov 19, 2014 6:21 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Many thanks for your reply. When I remove the McAfee applications, if I then go into Settings and Security and Privacy and switch on the Fire vault and Firewall settings, is my iMac then protected? I have also installed some Apps, namely, Clean MyMac 2, and Memory Clean. Do you think these should also be removed and if so, how do you remove duplicate files etc?

Nov 19, 2014 6:23 AM in response to Len Bradshaw

Len, Welcome to the Discussions. As rkaufmann87 has suggested your new mac doesn't need any 3rd party software of any kind. Your Mac has everything it needs to operate in tip top shape just how it comes straight out of the box. I take it you are used to using a standard PC, Go to Apples very first start up page and read Getting Started. Take your time and familiarize your self with your new Mac

TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY YOUR NEW MAC.

DON

Dec 18, 2014 8:54 PM in response to Len Bradshaw

Hi All... Long time Apple user and have enjoyed many many years without a thought about malware, virus' and trojans. However as this dialog progresses I would like to share an unfortunate reality... Life was fine and then one day my MacBook Pro started to labor when opening apps/managing multiple documents/etc.. the spinning wheel - and when I pulled up the option to Force Quit - each time it would show me that one or another of my apps was 'unresponsive'. (when I did not force quit the app - it did finally become responsive after a number of minutes) Next... noticed two things; at the same time that a mac app was unresponsive - the fan in my macbook was kicked into overdrive... and the casing above the keyboards had become super hot. Researched the issue that pointed me to the possibility of malware... Chose then what was best option McAfee to scan my computer.... and yes you guessed it - two cases of malware and a trojan. McAfee put them in 'quarantine' and I restarted my laptop... Like magic - no unresponsive apps - the fans were calm and the case was no longer excessively hot. This was great for about a month and then it happened again... ran the scan (with McAfee and Sophos) and found a new case of malware that was found in my email database and dated as received that day - once the virus was quarantined - my macbook was happy again. Now I run realtime virus scanner - seems like about 3-5 weeks and something will show up and - 99.9% time imbedded within an email - but computer is running as it should fast, cool and quiet.

McAfee is not working with OS x 10.10.1 - do I need it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.