Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 ios 8.1.1 wifi problem

i bought 2 iphone 6 comes with ios 8.0.2... wifi dropping and switching to 3G continuously in any place even in my home, i try to updated to ios 8.1.1 with itunes but still having the same problem. i did everything i read about this like , updating my wireless firmware, resetting my iphone network settings, reset and delete all contents, restore to factory with i tunes, sometimes the wifi appears on the top but when i try to use internet it did not and switching to 3G and connect. sometimes asks me to put the wireless password many times to identify again. it goes crazy, i got 3 ipads(3,4,mini) with ios 8 and iphone 5 (ios 7) without any wifi problem on the sames wireless.

do u think its software or hardware?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1, IOS 8.1.1

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 3:00 AM

15 replies

Nov 22, 2014 4:49 AM in response to Varouqa

I'm having the same exact issue as you. My 6 is on iOS 8.1.1 and the wifi is still constantly dropping then reconnecting and it's very visible. The phone's battery life is taking a huge hit because of this which *****. I know it has nothing to do with my home wifi because this is happening at the university campus and other public wifi hotspots. Anyway, I do believe that this could be a software issue.

Nov 22, 2014 5:06 AM in response to Varouqa

After some vigorous searching, I've come to the conclusion that there is a chance it MIGHT have to do with the router hardware. Check to see if your router uses 802.11ac. My home router (D-Link N300) and campus router do not. They only use 802.11 n/g which most likely is not playing nice at all with iOS8 since the wireless hardware in the phone has adopted 802.11ac.

Nov 22, 2014 7:40 AM in response to Varouqa

I mean, it's a possible fix for home and since you'd probably be home more often than out I'd give it a try. Or we could just wait and see what apple does for the next update (8.1.2) and hope that they do something about iOS8's interaction with other wifi standards. Right now, I probably will stick it out and see what they do for 8.1.2 because wifi routers are on the expensive side of things and I tend to go for the routers that can support serious gaming.

@HKQ - visiting an apple store won't do anything especially since this is a widely known problem for many iPhone 6 users. All we can do is wait and see what apple will do software wise.

Nov 25, 2014 9:11 AM in response to Varouqa

Guys i did some steps and my iphones go great with my wifi without touching my home wireless..... I went to setting...general...reset....erase all content and and settings. My iphone now goes as new then i start activating with applying everything even diagnostics and Usage make it automatically send.

I connect to wifi normally and download only facebook and whatsapp. My device work great till now . Its been 5 days till now normally with my home wireless. This time i did not download tango and viber. And it goes great. So i dont know if its from these 2 apps or from applying every steps when i start activating my iphone............ Try it guys and tell me if that help you.

iphone 6 ios 8.1.1 wifi problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.