Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1.1 bluetooth problem in Mazda persists

Since the launch of iOS 8, the bluetooth in my Mazda 3 does not auto connect to my iPhone 5 when placing a phone call. Music stream, incoming calls, and any other audio work perfectly fine. iOS 8.1 and 8.1.1 did not fix the problem. Mazda points the finger at Apple, Apple points the finger at Mazda. When is this issue going to be resolved since I know I am not the only one out there that experiences this issue. Other manufactures are seeing the problem as well and is not isolated to just Mazda. Bluetooth is a requirement in some states and on all federal installations, so clearly the bluetooth being partially broken is kinda redundant if you ask me. Suggestions and an estimated time of releasing a fix would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 6:36 AM

91 replies

Nov 24, 2014 9:38 AM in response to MrsAngelaR

Same issue with my 2009 Mazda 6. Incoming calls, playing music, talking to Siri all work fine with my iPhone 6. When placing a call it initially goes through the Mazda Bluetooth but switches back to the phone once the call has gone through. This necessitates a potentially unsafe futzing with the audio source button on the phone. I should add I didn't have this issue with my "old" iPhone 4 on iOS 7.

I've tried forgetting the Mazda on my phone, deleting the device on the Mazda head unit, turned Bluetooth off and on and rebooting the phone, changed Call Audio Routing to Headset and Speaker, installed 8.1.1 and reset network settings. Haven't done a reset all yet. I'm thinking only a new iOS update is going to fix this. I can pair my phone and every other function seems fine - it's just placing calls that doesn't work as it should.

Let Apple know your frustration. I'm sure they're well aware of the issue but extra pressure is warranted ...

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Nov 24, 2014 10:05 AM in response to MrsAngelaR

Bluetooth isn't a requirement on any federal installation nor in any state. Operating a mobile phone may require a form of hands free, but Bluetooth itself isn't a law.

Now, how many of you posting in this thread can tell me the current firmware version of the Bluetooth installed in your vehicle, and what is the most current version available from your vehicle manufacturer or Bluetooth accessory manufacturer?

Also, does your iPhone connect to any Bluetooth device, such as a headset, speakers, or even a photo kiosk at a Target or Wal-Mart?

Nov 24, 2014 12:33 PM in response to Dewcr3w88

Dewcr3w88 wrote:

Except that most of us had no issue with ios7xx , can still connect those devices and had no issues until the last several ios8 updates

Irrelevant. Whenever Apple prepares a new iOS update, all other related tech companies are advised, far in advance of the release (as in, like MONTHS ahead of time), what changes will be made. That includes app developers, email providers, website managers, and Bluetooth accessory manufacturers, just to name a few. And if they want their products/services to be compatible with iOS devices, then it is their responsibility to make the required adjustments. If they fail to make required adjustments, then it's also their responsibility to advise their customers, even before the iOS release, that their products/services will not be compatible with the new iOS.

Technology changes. That's how it works.

iOS 8 is different from iOS 7. The way the Bluetooth interfaces is also different. If the accessory is not updated to a firmware version (again, the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide that and the responsibility of the consumer to install or update it) that is compatible, then it will not work properly.

Nov 24, 2014 12:35 PM in response to oldman191

oldman191 wrote:

After updates: NO Bluetooth connection on anything

Before updates 8-8.1.1: Bluetooh worked fine

reset, restart and ALL other FIXES unsuccessful

Apple update is faulty

No, it's not. There's an issue with your device.

Make a backup. Restore as new. Attempt to connect to any Bluetooth accessory or device, not just your car. For example, see if it will connect to Bluetooth speakers, a Bluetooth headset, or even a photo printing kiosk with Bluetooth capability.

If it connects to any of these, the Bluetooth on the device is fine. If it does not, it is likely a hardware issue. Get your device serviced. But it's not the update. If it was, then NOONE's devices would work.

Nov 24, 2014 12:54 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

It's not an issue with just one device. Everyone on this thread is complaining about problems with their iOS devices with Mazdas that started happening after the 8.0 release. Bluetooth is designed to be backwards compatible, so even if Apple did change something, it shouldn't have broken what's already out there. If they knew they were changing something with their BT implementation, I'd like to see where that's documented.

In my case, my iPhone 5 connects fine to a wireless speaker. It also plays music through my Mazda with no problems. The problem is only when I try to place a call through the hands-free system on the car. 9 times out of 10 the info screen on my car just flashes "Bluetooth searching" like it's trying to connect it through the car's audio system. Then it reverts and switches back to the phone. Once the call is established, I can change the audio source on the phone to the car and that works. But that's a dangerous thing to do while driving.

Nov 24, 2014 1:04 PM in response to mgorr

If Bluetooth is designed to be 100%, no-issue, always backwards compatible, then why are there firmware updates for some Bluetooth devices?

iOS: Troubleshooting Bluetooth connections - Apple Support

If your Bluetooth accessory has upgradable firmware, check to see that you have the latest version1, 2.

If your iPhone connects to any Bluetooth device, then it's working properly. Contact Mazda to support the Bluetooth on the car.

Use the article I linked.

Nov 24, 2014 7:25 PM in response to Dewcr3w88

Dont even bother with the drone. its pot luck it seems with ios8.... They have to sort this out.

Something is up with the way it handles connections and audio... Something on the phone is trying to search or connect or adjust while its connected.

I was able to listen to 10 minutes worth of music by blind luck on my way home today (not a long drive) but I started spotify, noticed it wasnt connected to VW PHONE (what my car identifies as) inside the app so I selected it and some how was good to go on my way home....

Im not holding my breath but Apple really needs to address it, I am sure in their employee lot there has to be one person who works there with an ios8 device and having issues staying connected to their car's audio. Bluetooth should not have backwards compatibility issues.

I hate to be dramatic, but if fix I may have found by dumb luck doesnt persist or the next update doesnt lock everything up I will either trade this for a 5s on 7.1 or look else where for an android phone. It isnt ideal because I really like everything else about the 6.

iOS 8.1.1 bluetooth problem in Mazda persists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.