Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone does not show empty battery screen

Normally, when an iPhone's battery is drained, a screen showing a empty battery and a Lightning connector show up. On my iPhone 6 Plus, the screen turns on but it stays blank. Except for that, everything on my iPhone works normal. Is it a bug? I am running iOS 8.1.1.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 12:06 PM

I tried turning off the phone at 5% battery, but unlike my old iPhone 5, it then booted back up when I pressed the power button. I then let the battery drain and verified the the empty battery screen still did not show up. I waited for more than 10 minutes. What can I do to solve this? I searched this question online, but I can't seem to find anything.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2014 12:06 PM in response to Nubz N.

I tried turning off the phone at 5% battery, but unlike my old iPhone 5, it then booted back up when I pressed the power button. I then let the battery drain and verified the the empty battery screen still did not show up. I waited for more than 10 minutes. What can I do to solve this? I searched this question online, but I can't seem to find anything.

Nov 22, 2014 4:32 AM in response to Nubz N.

I decided to erase all content and settings on my iPhone. It did not fix anything. When it runs out of battery, the empty battery screen still does not show up, but the screen lights up. I guess it is just a iOS 8.1.1 bug. It does not happen on a iPhone 5, and I will test with my iPad the next time it runs out of battery. However, I would like to know if anyone else has the same "problem".

Jan 1, 2015 8:30 PM in response to t2-jet

I am also having this problem. Originally I restored the phone from an iphone 5 backup. Problem, when the phone is under 4% phone will not turn on, so it shows the battery icon with the lightning cable symbol on the screen. Instead only the backlight lights up, no image. When plugging in the phone to a charger at low battery level the battery icon appears, after a few moments the apple symbol comes on (regardless if the phone is above 5%) then the phone boots up, then restarts, shows the apple icon, then restarts, boot loops until battery is over 5%, then it stays on, and charges normally while being powered on.

This is either a hardware problem or software. I will try a full iTunes restore in DFU mode and see if that fixes the problem.

Jan 13, 2015 2:11 AM in response to t2-jet

Hi Everyone,

I bought an iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB yesterday and it has the same issue. The phone just went blank at 3% of battery level. Even after pressing the Power switch nothing happened. No Battery icon or charge icon. Then I put the phone to charge and within 2-3 sec. the phone rebooted.

@AppleSupport: Please suggest the solution.

Just to add my iPhone is running on iOS 8.1.2

Jan 28, 2015 8:01 PM in response to t2-jet

- I am having the exact same issue! The empty battery with a lightning cable screen does not show up, instead an iPhone just blinks when power button is pressed, like just "backlight" turns on. If I put it on a charger, battery screen (without lightning cable) shows up and starts charging normaly.

- Also, I am experiencing enormous battery drain. Usage time is something about 4 hours. It's just regular use, wifi browsing, mail and texting. Bit of a Facebook. Every two minutes, 1% goes down... My regular iPhone 6 4.7" has usage time about 6 hours.

- An iPhone overheats too. It's always, literally always pretty hot at the upper right back side.

Tried restoring couple of times, with Restore mode, DFU, Set up as new and the problem persists... I am currently on 8.1.2, downgraded from 8.1.3

I would like to mention that I've bought my 6 Plus yesterday (it was 8.0.2), and upon unboxing it only had 36% of juice. Am I wrong or new iPhone should never have less than about 80-90%? Maybe that f***ed up my battery when it was still in the box?

Thanks.

My iPhone does not show empty battery screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.