Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is mac-system-alert.com and how do I get rid of it?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 7:26 AM

It's a scam. They're hoping you'll call the number so they can fleece you for hundreds of dollars for problems you don't have. Either of these will work.

1) Open your web browser's preferences and turn off JavaScript. Back out of the page, or close the tab. Turn JavaScript back on. If you backed out of the page, just don't go forward again or you'll be locked into the same JavaScript loop.

2) Quit Safari. Hold down the Shift key and launch Safari. That tells it not to reload any web sites that were previously open.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2014 7:26 AM in response to 1947wdm

It's a scam. They're hoping you'll call the number so they can fleece you for hundreds of dollars for problems you don't have. Either of these will work.

1) Open your web browser's preferences and turn off JavaScript. Back out of the page, or close the tab. Turn JavaScript back on. If you backed out of the page, just don't go forward again or you'll be locked into the same JavaScript loop.

2) Quit Safari. Hold down the Shift key and launch Safari. That tells it not to reload any web sites that were previously open.

Mar 25, 2015 2:16 PM in response to jwhart

Are you certain your Internet connection is disabled? If wired, unplug the Ethernet cable. If wifi, open the System Preferences, click the Network icon, Wi-Fi at the left, and then the button Turn Wi-Fi Off at the right.

Try again. Also, while Safari is up with Internet access disabled, press Command+Option+E. Click OK to clear all cache data. Shut down Safari and launch it again.

Mar 25, 2015 2:59 PM in response to jwhart

I think we're going about this wrong. I've been presuming you've been fighting a scam page that locks the browser. What I now think you have is adware installed. No AV software will remove adware as it's not considered a threat. It's just really annoying.

You can either follow Apple's manual instructions for removing adware, or use the free automated tool, AdwareMedic.

Mar 25, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Kurt Lang

That's EXACTLY what it was! I left the PC world 2.5 years ago to escape it and it's finally tracked me down. I can't thank you enough for all of you help! And AdwareMedic nailed and removed it on the 1st attempt. It was identified as ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/searchme.safariextz and deleted and, for the record, it didn't interfere with Mozilla Firefox for Mac. I used/use Malwarebytes on the Windoze side and it's excellent but they don't offer a Mac version however, I'm very impressed by AdwareMedic.

Thanks again Kurt!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.