Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple claims Netflix needs to Update

I just completed my Apple Tech call this morning: it took 65min to eventually hear Apple blame Netflix as cause of problem and nothing could be done on Apple's end -- no foreseeable OS update to resolve the issue -- and actually suggests that Netflix update their platform to meet Yosemite OS.

Netflix, of course, blames Apple. Netflix's solution is to download Chrome or Firefox (bypass Safari) for Yosemite OS Users. Apple Tech confers with this solution and suggests download of Chrome for immediate success.

Also, in my opinion, Apple Customer Service has diminished their reputation. They didn't deal with the issue straight on, but, instead, chose to run the Customer thru bogus ineffective "solutions" and act like this is the first they've heard of the issue; hard to believe.

The best solution Apple Tech could advise is very simple and honest: inform the Customer straight away that it's now known that Safari on Yosemite OS is not compatible with Netflix at this time, so for immediate satisfaction, download Chrome or Firefox browser.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10), Safari browser

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 12:02 PM

4 replies

Jan 4, 2015 6:50 PM in response to Svaha!Dean

I am having the same problem. I am surprised though that people are blaming Apple for what is a Netflix problem. Several months ago I discontinued Netflix service because of poor playback quality. Often I couldn't even get Standard Definition playback much less HD. I had no such problems with Amazon Prime, Youtube of even nfl.com. I called Netflix support. They blamed my ISP, my router, Apple and for all I know the man in the moon. Just this morning I accepted their offer for another one month free trial. I read they now support HTML5 playback on Safari/Yosemite and wanted to see how it worked. For about an hour and a half playback was fine. Then suddenly I get this error no matter what I try to play back. I called Netflix support and predictably they blame it all on Apple. As a workaround I tried using Firefox with Silverlight playback and guess what ? I still can't get HD playback !

Jan 4, 2015 7:41 PM in response to William Lloyd

My machine is a 2013 27 inch iMac running Yosemite 10.10.1 / Safari 8.0.2. It ran fine for about and hour and a half. Then I got this error in the middle of a TV episode I was watching and I continue to get it no matter what I try to watch. This tells me that some Netflix routine ran checking for HDMI or some other type of compatibility , incorrectly determined my browser or monitor was non compliant and shut it down.

Apple claims Netflix needs to Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.