Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wait for Apple to Release Updated Video Drivers for Boot Camp?

In general, are people just updating their video drivers whenever the manufacturer (AMD, Nvidia, or Intel) release new official versions, or are we supposed to wait for Apple to update Boot Camp Assistant or Apple Software Update? The reason I ask is that AMD just notified me via popup in Windows 8.1 that new drivers for the iMac Retina 5K (295x) were available. My worry is that the installed drivers (via original install) are actually modified Apple drivers, not AMD's originals.

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 2:12 PM

I suggest not using the stock nVidia drivers due to the fact that Apple has its own firmware versions for many of the GPUs.

I tested a iMac5k Retina using 14.9 stock drivers which worked, but Bootcamp supplied only 14.2 drivers. This was tested on a base model with R290 not a R295. I did not try the Beta 14.11 drivers.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2014 2:12 PM in response to kjk

I suggest not using the stock nVidia drivers due to the fact that Apple has its own firmware versions for many of the GPUs.

I tested a iMac5k Retina using 14.9 stock drivers which worked, but Bootcamp supplied only 14.2 drivers. This was tested on a base model with R290 not a R295. I did not try the Beta 14.11 drivers.

Jul 31, 2015 4:58 AM in response to Loner T

I did wonder, Windows 8.1 worked fine for me.

In Fact Windows 10 works fine, just the VGA card, however windows does still look awesome on the retina screen it isn't by no means like the old days, when the driver was broke your stuck in 640x480 mode, Its actually pin sharp, just needs the proper drivers for Gaming and the 2nd screen to become active...

All the rest as far as i can see works great. No driver issues

VMware fusion just worked too, however the shoddy Parallels rubbish doesn't, very poor from the so called leaders...

Wait for Apple to Release Updated Video Drivers for Boot Camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.