Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unresponsive trackpad and keyboard when using 'Repair Your Computer' option.

Hi,

I am having some problems trying to use the 'Repair Your Computer' option when booting up Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro (Late 2013 - Retina). The problem is that I can't select any options after getting to the 'Select your input keyboard' dialog windows by using my keyboard or mouse. The cursor doesn't show up whether I use my trackpad or a wireless mouse, and I cannot select between 'Next' or 'Cancel' using the arrow and enter keys on my keyboard.

Any suggestions for an alternate route?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Late 2013 13" Model

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 3:06 PM

16 replies

Nov 19, 2014 4:37 PM in response to Loner T

Okay, so I used a Win-7 ISO burnt my university bought CD to install Windows 7 previously. Do I just have to reburn the CD as an .iso file onto a flashdrive and have it connected to a USB 2.0 port before clicking on 'Repair Your Computer'?

I mean how does the operating system recognize the repair media in order for the keyboard and mouse to work? I thought the repair option was a built-in function with the installation of Windows 7.

Nov 19, 2014 5:07 PM in response to itsTnTg

Run Bootcamp Assistant, and check the first two check boxes ('Create USB...' and 'Download driver'). Use a USB2.0 flash drive. It will be erased. Uncheck the last check box. Point to the ISO on your MBP, and create a USB with ISO/BC Drivers. Leave this USB drive inserted.

In System Preferences -> Startup Disk select the Bootcamp installation, (not the USB) and click on Restart. The USB should boot and allow you tp repair the Windows installation.

Nov 22, 2014 5:31 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the communication, Loner T. Much appreciate your willingness to help so far.

It took me awhile to get back to you as I ran into some problems downloading the latest Windows support software. But I was able to get that and the Windows 7 iso installed onto a flashdrive. I followed through with your method and found that the keyboard and mouse was unresponsive at the Advanced Boot Options screen. This happened because I set the startup disk to reboot into the Bootcamp Windows system.

I attached a screen of what the Bootcamp option in Startup Disk since I was not sure if it should look like a folder instead of a disk. Any other suggestions to get into Repair Your Computer?

Feb 27, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Loner T

LT,

• this is a late 2014 retina macbookpro without built in Optical drive
  • the port is usb 3.0
  • the drive is a patriot XT 8 gig. The system info is attached below.

The boot camp partition works fine I just can't get the repair boot to work (trying to test restore software)

thanks.

hal

Patriot Memory:

Product ID: 0x3800

Vendor ID: 0x13fe (Phison Electronics Corp.)

Version: 1.00

Serial Number: 0701258B28B2F962

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer:

Location ID: 0x14200000 / 7

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 300

Capacity: 8.01 GB (8,011,120,640 bytes)

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: disk1

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Volumes:

WININSTALL:

Capacity: 8.01 GB (8,011,119,616 bytes)

Available: 3.4 GB (3,400,916,992 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: MS-DOS FAT32

BSD Name: disk1s1

Mount Point: /Volumes/WININSTALL

Content: DOS_FAT_32

Volume UUID: 8E82EC1B-FA12-31D1-8C58-536A12AC678F

Unresponsive trackpad and keyboard when using 'Repair Your Computer' option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.