Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8.1, BootCamp does not find the ISO image.

When I try to install Windows 8.1, BootCamp does not find the ISO image.

1. I purchased Windows 8.1 Pro, I downloaded the .exe requested file from a Windows computer, performed the steps recommended by Microsoft in order to create the ISO file saving it on a flash drive as well and, as a precaution, on a DVD too.
  2. I performed the "Download the latest Windows Support Software from Apple" step directly into another flash drive and having it completed BootCamp displays the following message:
    "The installer disc could not be found – Insert the Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized. "
  3. So happens that I have tried this using the DVD, pendrive and also copying the ISO file to the desktop and to the "Documents" folder as recommended in certain websites, but none of this has made the process go ahead. What can I do?

My equipment is a mid 2011 iMac running Mac OSX 10.10.1.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 5:42 PM

21 replies

Aug 19, 2017 11:06 PM in response to Helton Pereira Bastos

Hi Helton,

Could you please explain what exactly you did to make it work? I'm facing the same issue with ISO for installing Windows 8.1 in my MBP. Below is the link I referred.

Re: Boot Camp will not recognize iso image

However, it wasn't working the way it is explained. The ISO is still not recognized.

Would it work if we burn the content to a DVD using nero and using it in BootCamp?

Nov 19, 2014 6:51 PM in response to Helton Pereira Bastos

You do not have an option to use an ISO image on Bootcamp Assistant, so your iMac 2011 must use a physical DVD Windows disk. You can burn the ISO to a DVD using

Disk Utility 12.x: Burn a disk image to a CD or DVD

From Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions - Apple Support

Can I install Windows from an ISO image?

To find out if your Mac supports that feature, open Boot Camp Assistant, then click the Continue button. If you see a checkbox labeled “Create a Windows 7 or later install disk,” your Mac can install Windows from an ISO image.

Nov 19, 2014 7:52 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T, your suggestion gave me a doubt:

I own the iso image already burned to a DVD from a Windows PC, according to what is stated by Microsoft. The content of it is exactly the same window shot that I sent earlier. I took the instructions here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Although I have inserted in this DVD SuperDrive, the result was the same. It is not meant for installation to BootCamp?

Nov 21, 2014 2:51 PM in response to Loner T

Dear Loner T,

thanks to my coworker, the solution was unpacking from that ISO file which I had recorded (according to the steps indicated by Microsoft), but now using Nero software (Windows) and then recording by the most common way in a new DVD. See the screen of the first DVD before unpacking:

User uploaded file

This true saga only demonstrated that the generated ISO file as an option at the time of the Windows installation, is not for direct installation through BootCamp, and as a I could check, even for direct installation on a Windows PC. See the last DVD burned using Nero and again recorded:

User uploaded file

The execution of BootCamp, was perfect

Thank you for attention to my problem!

Windows 8.1, BootCamp does not find the ISO image.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.