Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue vs Orange Channel Strip Bus Indicators

Hello Fellow Logicheads:

In the mixer environment I have come across a some channel strips that have both Blue and Orange Bus indicators. I'm sure that the colors are attempting to tell me the status of the use of these busses and their functioning. I just don't know what the Orange (in particular) means. Here's what I'm looking at:

User uploaded file

What do the different colors mean?? I notice that the Orange Busses have greyed-out bus levels, whereas the Blue busses have "active" levels indicated. All help understanding this is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Logic Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 6:58 PM

Do you have Low Latency mode enabled?

9 replies

Nov 19, 2014 10:31 PM in response to erniesfo

Here's a description of Low Latency Mode From the Logic 9 Manual. which is more complete than the Logic X manual

Low Latency Mode checkbox and Limit slider: You need to select the Low Latency Mode checkbox in order to activate Low Latency mode and use the Limit slider. The Limit slider lets you determine a maximum amount of allowable delay that can be caused by plug-ins when Low Latency mode is enabled (by clicking the Low Latency Mode button on the Transport bar). In Low Latency mode, plug-ins are bypassed to ensure that all delays (across the entire signal flow of the current track) remain under the Limit slider value. This is useful when you want to play a software instrument with several latency-inducing plug-ins inserted in the channel. For more information, see Working in Low Latency Mode

Working in Low Latency Mode

Low Latency mode allows you to limit the maximum delay time caused by plug-ins. Plug-ins will be bypassed to ensure that the maximum delay that can occur across the entire signal flow (of the current track) remains under the chosen value. The Low Latency mode is extremely useful when you need to play a software instrument (or to monitor through an audio channel) when plug-ins with high latencies are already in use—at any point in the signal flow for the selected track/channel.

The main purpose of Low Latency mode is to disable high latency plugins when recording tracks using AU (Virtual) Instruments, this is so the recording is placed more accurately in the timeline. Low Latency Mode is not really for general use, here's why:

1. If you don't have any Latency inducing plugins in your mix it does nothing at all, I don't know if it has any adverse effects best to leave it off.

2. If you DO have latency inducing plugins, they turn orange with Low Latency Mode enabled and they effect your mix.

Nov 21, 2014 8:08 PM in response to erniesfo

erniesfo wrote:

Hi: The only other curiosity question I would ask is, in the visual example I display above, why do some display normally while others display Orange?

Thanks again!

It's all in the description I posted.

In Low Latency mode, plug-ins are bypassed to ensure that all delays (across the entire signal flow of the current track) remain under the Limit slider value.

The Plugins on the Orange Bus cause delay (latency) The plugins that do not cause latency remain unaffected.

Low-Latency mode has a specific function, it's not something you turn on and leave on because you will not be hearing any of the plugins that turn orange.

You will not be hearing the mix accurately. Low Latency mode is only to be used for certain situations.

The Low Latency mode is extremely useful when you need to play a software instrument (or to monitor through an audio channel) when plug-ins with high latencies are already in use—at any point in the signal flow for the selected track/channel.

If you're not doing one of the above, leave it off.

Nov 21, 2014 8:35 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks again.

I've been using Low latency mode for an entirely different purpose - to prevent the audio engine from failing to process the audio or simply crash. I've gotten away from this over time by properly creating auxs for delays, echoes, reverbs, and sending to those (vs a per track plugin example). I try to use as few plains as I can get away with in order to save processing power, etc. Obviously I'm still learning a lot.

Thanks again for your time, I really appreciate it. Very helpful/educational.

Blue vs Orange Channel Strip Bus Indicators

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.