Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Disk Utility do TRIM for a 3rd party SSD?

Given the complications of enabling TRIM for third-party SSDs in Yosemite, if I upgrade my MacBook Pro to Yosemite I have to think about long-term performance of the SSD if I can't use Trim Enabler. That leads to two questions:

1. Is it really that big of a deal if I don't enable TRIM for a Samsung 840 EVO SSD? Does the drive have sufficient garbage collection of its own so that I can expect several years of high performance from the drive if TRIM is not enabled?
  2. I have read that Disk Utility does a trim at the end of a disk repair. Do we know that this is true? So if the drive really should use TRIM, is manually running Repair Disk in Disk Utility a sufficient workaround, and if so, how often should it be done?

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 9:06 AM

I've been looking to upgrade the HDD in my 2012 MBP 15" now that SSD's are more affordable and given the Black Friday sale here in the US. I've done a lot of research on TRIM support for Macs prior to Yosemite but decided to wait, given the workaround one must employ, to see what Yosemite brought to the table. Here's what I've found regarding your questions:

1. TRIM support isn't a requirement for the 840 EVO series. Samsung implemented a controller, MEX, which allows the drive to manage garbage collection. This is similar to the Sandforce controller used on other drives (if you've heard of that) in that the SSD handles these tasks during system idle time. So without TRIM enabled you'll definitely want to leave your computer idle for periods of time here and there. However, TRIM allows the SSD to work with the OS in order to handle garbage collection more efficiently. This could mean better longevity with TRIM enabled. Regardless, with this specific drive, Samsung has released a firmware update that you should install (link at bottom of post). Note that some Mac users are finding the installation process difficult, resulting in using a Windows machine to reformat to NTFS to update, then back to OS X Extended (Journaled). The blog post linked below might have the workaround, though this is anecdotal and unverified by me.
  2. I've read about the Disk Utility reports and I haven't been able to confirm whether it is reporting the TRIM command in use or simply another process by a similar name. However, I would not consider running Disk Utility periodically as a suitable workaround since the point of TRIM is for it to be in use on a continuous basis.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/su pport/downloads.html

http://blog.conradchavez.com/2014/10/30/running-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd-performa nce-restoration-tool-on-a-mac/

I'm disappointed that Apple continues not to support third party SSD's. This is quite obviously, as others have pointed out, to Apple's monetary gain.

Edit: FWIW I'm upgrading to a Samsung 840 EVO and I'm going with the TRIM workaround for Yosemite that's been posted elsewhere. I don't see driver signage as a gaping security hole right now and, given the backlash from the professional community on this issue (which is depended on third party SSD support in Mac OS X), I suspect Apple will revise this policy at some point before the next OS release. Fingers crossed, and good luck.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Network 23

I've been looking to upgrade the HDD in my 2012 MBP 15" now that SSD's are more affordable and given the Black Friday sale here in the US. I've done a lot of research on TRIM support for Macs prior to Yosemite but decided to wait, given the workaround one must employ, to see what Yosemite brought to the table. Here's what I've found regarding your questions:

1. TRIM support isn't a requirement for the 840 EVO series. Samsung implemented a controller, MEX, which allows the drive to manage garbage collection. This is similar to the Sandforce controller used on other drives (if you've heard of that) in that the SSD handles these tasks during system idle time. So without TRIM enabled you'll definitely want to leave your computer idle for periods of time here and there. However, TRIM allows the SSD to work with the OS in order to handle garbage collection more efficiently. This could mean better longevity with TRIM enabled. Regardless, with this specific drive, Samsung has released a firmware update that you should install (link at bottom of post). Note that some Mac users are finding the installation process difficult, resulting in using a Windows machine to reformat to NTFS to update, then back to OS X Extended (Journaled). The blog post linked below might have the workaround, though this is anecdotal and unverified by me.
  2. I've read about the Disk Utility reports and I haven't been able to confirm whether it is reporting the TRIM command in use or simply another process by a similar name. However, I would not consider running Disk Utility periodically as a suitable workaround since the point of TRIM is for it to be in use on a continuous basis.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/su pport/downloads.html

http://blog.conradchavez.com/2014/10/30/running-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd-performa nce-restoration-tool-on-a-mac/

I'm disappointed that Apple continues not to support third party SSD's. This is quite obviously, as others have pointed out, to Apple's monetary gain.

Edit: FWIW I'm upgrading to a Samsung 840 EVO and I'm going with the TRIM workaround for Yosemite that's been posted elsewhere. I don't see driver signage as a gaping security hole right now and, given the backlash from the professional community on this issue (which is depended on third party SSD support in Mac OS X), I suspect Apple will revise this policy at some point before the next OS release. Fingers crossed, and good luck.

Nov 28, 2014 9:44 AM in response to Network 23

TRIM is an SSD support function that's been causing a lot of confusion. This link in Wikipediagoes into considerable detail (nothing is ever simple) about what TRIM is, what its benefits are and why it's possible to get along without it. The take-away is that TRIM provides information to an SSD's internal Garbage Collection routines which can reduce wear and maintain speed over time. But since it's essentially reporting the freeing up of cells resulting from file deletion, it needs to be in operation full time. So if TRIM is not always active, the benefits of TRIM can't be realized.

If TRIM has been active on the drive in question, when you boot from another drive on which TRIM has also been activated and run Repair Disk in Disk Utility, at the end of the detailed list of what's being done, you should see "Trimming unused blocks" which is a succinct description of what TRIM does. And you should see an immediate, if small, jump in available space when the process is done.

Nov 28, 2014 11:37 AM in response to garrettra

garrettra wrote:

TRIM support isn't a requirement for the 840 EVO series. Samsung implemented a controller, MEX, which allows the drive to manage garbage collection. This is similar to the Sandforce controller used on other drives (if you've heard of that) in that the SSD handles these tasks during system idle time. So without TRIM enabled you'll definitely want to leave your computer idle for periods of time here and there...

OK, this is good news and something I was hoping to hear. I knew that other brands used Sandforce which doesn't need TRIM, so I was hoping that since EVO 840 is a recent model that Samsung had similar technology that helps obviate the need for TRIM. This means one reasonable course of action is to forget about the TRIM problem and just run the drive in Yosemite as is.

garrettra wrote:

...Edit: FWIW I'm upgrading to a Samsung 840 EVO and I'm going with the TRIM workaround for Yosemite that's been posted elsewhere. I don't see driver signage as a gaping security hole right now and, given the backlash from the professional community on this issue (which is depended on third party SSD support in Mac OS X), I suspect Apple will revise this policy at some point before the next OS release. Fingers crossed, and good luck.

Just for clarification: By "the TRIM workaround...posted elsewhere" do you mean turning off the OS X security requirement for signed kernel extensions? If so, that sounds like an OK solution. Since the kernel signing requirement is new, turning it off leaves you no worse off than you were in 10.9 and earlier.

The biggest risk to this solution I know of then is that if NVRAM or similar becomes reset, the kernel signing setting gets reset and may result in a blocked boot when the unsigned TRIM enabler is detected. I'm sure you already know this, I'm just mentioning it for those who need to be aware that if OS X stops your Mac from booting because it detects the unsigned TRIM enabler, you must understand and be able to carry out the steps to put your Mac back in a bootable state. Those steps may require the Terminal and are listed in FAQ and support for using Trim Enabler in OS X Yosemite, scroll down the section "Recovering from stop sign on boot screen."

Thanks a lot for your post, it helps!

P.S. As an 840 EVO owner I did fix my drive with the Samsung software by burning a bootable CD. Note that it is not just a "firmware update," there is a separate repair program that must be run to fix the performance bug, you will not find the combined repair/firmware package in the Mac firmware section of the Samsung download page. You have to get it from the performance bug fix section of the download page.

Nov 28, 2014 11:34 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

FatMac>MacPro wrote:

...if TRIM is not always active, the benefits of TRIM can't be realized...If TRIM has been active on the drive in question, when you boot from another drive on which TRIM has also been activated and run Repair Disk in Disk Utility, at the end of the detailed list of what's being done, you should see "Trimming unused blocks" which is a succinct description of what TRIM does. And you should see an immediate, if small, jump in available space when the process is done.

If I understand this right, there's not much point in running Disk Utility if a TRIM utility hasn't been running already.

So to summarize what I learned from the two answers so far: For Yosemite the best thing to do is buy an SSD that is known to not need TRIM in the first place, and the 840 EVO is thought to be into that category. If you aren't forcing a TRIM utility to work in Yosemite, repairing the disk in Disk Utility is not going to be an effective workaround. If you must have TRIM you must turn off kernel signing but be prepared in case the Mac won't boot.

Nov 28, 2014 12:25 PM in response to Network 23

Network 23 wrote:

If I understand this right, there's not much point in running Disk Utility if a TRIM utility hasn't been running already.

So to summarize what I learned from the two answers so far: For Yosemite the best thing to do is buy an SSD that is known to not need TRIM in the first place, and the 840 EVO is thought to be into that category. If you aren't forcing a TRIM utility to work in Yosemite, repairing the disk in Disk Utility is not going to be an effective workaround. If you must have TRIM you must turn off kernel signing but be prepared in case the Mac won't boot.

Because the operating system can write to an SSD's pages but must erase groups of pages (a block) at a time, and that can include pages which are still valid and which must be preserved by being copied and moved, using TRIM to identify the pages which can be ignored and just erased reduces the amount of data being rewritten, but if TRIM isn't active at the time a deletion occurs, the SSD treats the deleted file's page as still good, so it's unnecessarily written along with the good stuff. At the same time, I doubt any current SSD needs TRIM in order to function; it just doesn't function as well over the long term.

As far as the 840 EVO goes, this review addresses TRIM functioning with a surprise, which may be fixed with the firmware update garrettra recommends. And this review, for a different Samsung 840, seems to show that TRIM does, indeed, make a positive difference in Samsung SSD performance.

Another point as that while you can force "Trimming" using Disk Utility, it isn't necessary because the Garbage Collection routines can make use of the TRIM info (if it was generated in the first place) in their normal background process. Moreover, you can take other steps, beyond TRIM, to give the SSD a helping hand. One reflects the fact that SSD's silently do "wear-leveling" and make use of whatever "over-provisioning" space is built into most SSD's. You can add to that space by partitioning your SSD to leave some of its available space as free space (i.e., your partition is smaller than the maximum size you can make it) because it's accessible to the SSD controller even though it isn't to you.

While the driver signing in Yosemite is another effort by Apple to improve security, we've gotten by without out it since the beginning of OS X. My own solution has been to stay with an earlier OS for the time being. YMMV.😉

Dec 9, 2014 10:49 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

FatMac>MacPro wrote:

While the driver signing in Yosemite is another effort by Apple to improve security, we've gotten by without out it since the beginning of OS X. My own solution has been to stay with an earlier OS for the time being. YMMV.

😉

Yup, that's what I'm doing for now. Keeping my SSD-upgraded MacBook Pro on Mavericks.

Dec 12, 2014 11:55 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Okay, Yosemite supports TRIM for third-party drives -- sort of.

Some background -- a year ago I installed a 480GB Crucial M500 SSD into my mid-2010 MacBook Pro running Mavericks. I enabled TRIM and everything was wonderful.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I installed Yosemite and discovered, as everyone else has, that enabling TRIM doesn't work unless kext security is disabled. For me, that's too steep a price to pay for enabling TRIM, so I decided to live with Crucial's built-in garbage collection. Performance has been fine so far.

Today, my MacBook Pro's screen froze (I think the discrete video is going bad) so I rebooted into single user mode and ran 'fsck -fy' to make sure everything was good. Lo and behold, 'Trimming unused blocks' appeared on screen as the process wrapped up.

I must emphasize that TRIM is not enabled in my Yosemite install.

At this point, I booted from an external drive where I keep a SuperDuper! clone that is backed up every night. I mounted the SSD in Disk Utility and ran Repair Disk. Once again, 'Trimming unused blocks' appeared near the end of the process.

So the point here is that you do not need to use any TRIM enablers at all -- your Mac will TRIM the drive by running 'fsck -fy' in single user mode.

Dec 12, 2014 1:18 PM in response to RicD

RicD wrote:

...So the point here is that you do not need to use any TRIM enablers at all -- your Mac will TRIM the drive by running 'fsck -fy' in single user mode.

Well, sort of...

As a test, I just turned off TRIM on my Crucial M500 running Mountain Lion and rebooted. In System Information, TRIM was no longer enabled for the SSD. I rebooted into Single User Mode and ran the fsck command. No Trimming of unused blocks appeared or occurred. I turned TRIM back on using TRIM Enabler, rebooted, checked TRIM status in System Info again and it was active. Rebooted yet again into Single User Mode, ran fsck and trimming unused block appeared as expected.

I tried something similar but this time booting from another internal OWC SSD, turning TRIM on and off and using Disk Utility on the M500 (since fsck only works on the boot drive). I got the same results.

Why we're getting different results is beyond me. But there's the additional complication that TRIM is a method of informing the SSD controller of blocks put in an unused status by file deletion on an ongoing basis, and is also the term used by the OS for the process of Trimming (as in haircuts) any blocks so identified. If blocks made unused by file deletion are not designated as such during the period when TRIM isn't active, they may be skipped over but the Trimming process would still take place when invoked.

Why it does that for you when TRIM is off but not for me is a conundrum. But if you check the TRIM support status using System Information>SATA/SATAExpress on your system, what does it say?

Dec 12, 2014 1:28 PM in response to RicD

RicD wrote:

Today, my MacBook Pro's screen froze (I think the discrete video is going bad) so I rebooted into single user mode and ran 'fsck -fy' to make sure everything was good. Lo and behold, 'Trimming unused blocks' appeared on screen as the process wrapped up.

I must emphasize that TRIM is not enabled in my Yosemite install.

At this point, I booted from an external drive where I keep a SuperDuper! clone that is backed up every night. I mounted the SSD in Disk Utility and ran Repair Disk. Once again, 'Trimming unused blocks' appeared near the end of the process.

So the point here is that you do not need to use any TRIM enablers at all -- your Mac will TRIM the drive by running 'fsck -fy' in single user mode.

As for "Trimming unused blocks" reported under fsck, my understanding is that fsck is what Disk Utility is running when it does a Repair Disk, so it should be expected to produce similar messages.

I'm not sure how what you found is much different than what's been reported earlier in the thread. It's acknowledged that Disk Utility does some kind of trimming, but it still seems to be an open question as to whether that gives you the same results as an actual TRIM enabler. It was explained earlier that real TRIM gets benefits from continuously monitoring drive usage, so it has information about the blocks that Disk Utility/fsck doesn't get from it's one-time look at the drive. Unless the drive's own garbage collection is sufficiently comparable to TRIM, and Disk Utility/fsck has access to that data. But I'm not an expert on it, so I'd still like to see other opinions.

Dec 12, 2014 1:39 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

garrettra wrote:

Apple does not manufacture SSD'd, whatever is fitted is 3rd party, even if Apple fitted it.

It may be 3rd party but that doesn't mean Apple never lays a finger on it. There are many examples. The iMacs that have drives with an Apple-installed thermal sensor that means you can't just swap in the same third-party drive unless you put the sensor on the new drive just right (OWC sells kits for this). The original hard drive from my MacBook Pro that seems to be a generic Seagate until you notice there is an Apple logo on the label; I was never sure if that meant there were any technical differences.

I read a story once where a reporter visited a hard drive plant in Asia and there was one line separate from the rest. The reporter asked what that line was for and the plant guy said Apple, they have different quality requirements.

So while Apple may not make their own drives, they often fit drives that are not exactly like the ones you could get from the same manufacturer.

Does Disk Utility do TRIM for a 3rd party SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.