Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Power Mac G3 won't connect to monitor

Before I consign it to the recycling depot I need to retrieve some files from my old G3, which I've rarely turned on for years. Problem is, it won't connect to the Sony monitor - no signal. The G3 makes all the right noises, as does the monitor, but then I just get the 'no signal' message on the monitor. Checked the input setting and the connections and can't find a problem. Worked perfectly last time I started it up about a year ago.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be or an alternative method of seeing/accessing files on the G3 gratefully received!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 9:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2014 11:26 PM

1) Resetting PRAM could solve the problem.

2) Reseat video card.

3) Replace PRAM battery

4) Or if video card is malfunction, pull out PowerMac G3 HDD and install it in IDE external HDD case to connect other Mac via USB port.

11 replies

Nov 20, 2014 6:53 AM in response to Ulessa

Hi Ulessa,

Is this a Beige G3:

User uploaded file or User uploaded file

or a "Blue & White" G3:

User uploaded file

Although released very close to each other in time, they are quite different and need different troubleshooting. Example: The Beige G3 may give no video at startup if the internal backup battery (or "PRAM" battery) is dead; the B&W is not as dramatic when faced with a dead battery.

Nov 23, 2014 12:22 AM in response to kaz-k

Well, despite my misgivings (and working out how to stretch my small fingers that far), I tried a 'blind' PRAM reset but no joy, except a healthy chime from the G3. After further research I found sufficient similar appeals and successful responses to make me fairly sure the battery is the culprit. So, I'm off to source the right battery. If only I'd been as diligent about back ups then as I am now!

Dec 16, 2014 12:57 AM in response to Ulessa

You don't need to get the old keyboard and mouse working, as you can use any USB keyboard and/or mouse with your Blue & White G3. These two peripherals aren't platform-specific, so you can use ones that came with a PC. The primary difference between a Mac keyboard and a Windows keyboard concerns the "Alt" and "Command" keys. On the PC keyboard, the "Windows" logo key functions as the Apple "Command" key, and the "Alt" key is the "Alt/Option" key. You'll notice that these two keys are juxtaposed in relation to the space bar, when comparing the Mac and Windows keyboards.

Dec 16, 2014 6:37 PM in response to Jeff

Thanks Jeff but it was actually a throwaway line. The G3 just didn't recognise the peripherals at first but a simple restart fixed it. Hopefully by the end of today I should have had enough spare time to retrieve everything I need. I've had a Mac of one model or another on my desk since 1987 and the monitor problem is the first time I've ever had to do anything but basic system or software maintenance. Living proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Old Power Mac G3 won't connect to monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.