Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All contacts gone after Yosemite upgrade!

PROBLEM

I upgraded my MacBook Pro 15 (early 2011) from Mavericks to Yosemite and all my contacts disappeared.

I have about 11 000 contacts stored locally on my mac (not using icloud for this, of obvious reasons).

(Note: In system prefs under iCloud I have contacts un-checked, not wanting to sync with any other devices.)

The Contacts Application appears completely empty, however the system files seems to be there, found under:

Username/Library/Application Support/ AddressBook

RESTORING - (Temporary emergency fix.)

From this location: Username/Library/Application Support/ AddressBook I opened Time Machine and restored one recent

AddressBook folder that was backed up prior to my upgrade.

I selected "keep booth" and now had two folders: the default "AddressBook" and "AddressBook (Original)"

I closed down the Contacts Application and then I copied all the files from the restored "AddressBook (Original)" folder

over to the default "AddressBook" folder, choosing to replace all similar files.

When starting the Contacts Application ALL CONTACTS AND GROUPS ARE BACK exactly the way I want them!

BUT

When closing the Contacts application and starting it again THEY ARE ALL GONE AGAIN!

I repeated the procedure by copying the orginal files from the restored "AddressBook (Original)" folder

over to the default "AddressBook" folder, choosing to replace all similar files.

Restarted the Contacts Application with the same result: All contacts are back.

Closing the Contacts application and restarting it again: All contacts are gone.

(Obviously, for now, I can keep the Contacts Application running all the time, and try to avoid restarts but...)

EXPORTING AND IMPORTING - (Not working properly.)

I repeated the copy procedure again, got all the contacts back and selected EXPORT all contacts to a "Contacts Archive (.abbu)"

Closed the Contacts application and restarting it again: All contacts are gone.

I selected IMPORT and picked the created "Contacts Archive (.abbu)".

After some wait a random 1700 contacts out of 11 000 contacts are imported. I repeated this 3 times. Same result.

(It seems like the export is failing to include most of the contacts and the answer may be connected to the observation below)

I also exported one small group into a vCard 2,1 and 3.0 file, but when trying to importing this NOTHING happens. Nothing is imported. No message. Nada.

THE METADATA FOLDER MYSTERY:

The content of my "AddressBook (Original)" folder size is 131MB for 11 471 objects.

After copying all the content to the default "AddressBook" folder, and opening the Contacts Application (all contacts there!)

I checked the content of the "AddressBook" folder size which looks exactly the same comparing the first subfile/folder content but

now says it contains only 82MB for only 27 objects.

Turns out there is a folder called Metadata within the "AddressBook (Original)" folder.

The content of the Metadata folder seems to be all my contacts and when starting the Contacts Application they are obviously read

by the software so they appear as expected but after a 10 secs or so all the 11 471 files in that Metadata folder disappears in front of my eyes!

When opening the folder all files are gone!

I can still see all my contacts in the Application, but when restarting it, they're all gone also in the Application.

So to narrow it down it now seems to be enough to copy the original Metadata folder over to the default "AddressBook" folder

EVERY TIME before I start the Contacts Application. The Metadata folder will always be emptied by the system about 10 secs after Contacts is started.

PLEASE FIX APPLE:

1. The content of the Metadata folder is not transferred properly when migrating to Yosemite. All contacts were gone from the first boot of the system.

2. When manually putting the original Metafolder into the default "AddressBook" folder the contacts are back but are then mysteriously and automatically

erased within about 10 secs causing the next startup of the Contacts Application to again contain NOTHING.

(To be sure that it has nothing to do with an iCloud glitch I turned Wifi off so no unwanted sync could be made. Still all contacts gone.)

3. The Export and Import features does not work as intended.

Anyone experienced the same or have a solid fix for this problem?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 5:24 AM

46 replies

Nov 21, 2014 1:53 PM in response to henkony

I hit the exact same bug.

After upgrading my MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012) from the latest version of Mavericks to Yosemite 10.10.1, everything appeared to go flawlessly — until I opened my Contacts and found it completely empty.

Luckily I have a desktop Mac Mini with my Contacts (I use ChronoSync to periodically keep laptop's Contacts synced with my Mini). In fact, the reason I upgraded to Yosemite on my laptop first is to make sure that there would be no glitches before upgrading my Mini. It seems that was a very good idea!

I first tried replacing the AddressBook folder on my MacBook Air:

Users/John/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

with a copy of this folder from my Mini. That worked, and when I opened Contacts all my data were back. Cool, I thought. But after quitting and re-opening Contacts, the data were gone and I was back to a fresh, empty Contacts.

Then I tried exporting the data from my Mini, using Contact's "Export…" feature. Then I had a file called:

Contacts - 11-21-2014.abbu

I opened my empty Contacts on my Air and used the "Import…" feature to import the data. That worked, but again, after quitting and re-opening Contacts, the data were gone and I was back to a fresh, empty Contacts.

This is extremely frustrating, to say the least. A pretty major bug, which renders my Contacts unusable.

BTW, I at no time was I logged in to iCloud. I do not use, and have never used, iCloud, for anything.

Apple, what's the fix?

Nov 21, 2014 6:52 PM in response to johnsky

OK, now I've fixed it … mostly …

The solution is to use the Vcard format — but it only works after first completely wiping out the AddressBook folder in the Applications Support folder.

I had to export from my old Contacts into a Vcard file. (A Contracts archive won't work.)

Then, on the new Yosemite installation, delete (or rename if that makes you nervous) the folder called AddressBook in Application Support, as in:

Users/[username[/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

Then, launch Contacts (and a fresh AddressBook folder will be re-created). Of course there will be no one in your Contact list (except a card for Apple and maybe yourself).

Now you can import the Vcard file, and all the contacts will be restored — and actually still be there after you quit and relaunch Contacts.

Yay! But …

All groups will be lost. I had quite a number of contacts in quite a number of groups, and it will be a major pain to re-create all the groups from scratch. But I guess that's better than losing everything.

BTW, importing a Contacts archive into a fresh AddressBook folder doesn't work; the data will all be lost the next time you lauch Contacts.

This is not ideal; I wish there were a way to keep the groups data, too.

Does anyone know if Apple will actually fix this bug?

Nov 22, 2014 9:31 AM in response to johnsky

Thanks for sharing!

For someone with a smaller contacts library your suggestion will be the way to go for the time beeing - but losing all the groups is unfortunately not an option for me, and it will be too cumbersome to manually restore them with my 11 000 contacts!

For now I'm stuck with just avoiding closing the app down, Or copying my old Address book library before I start the app - And I just realised that I can't add any new contacts, since they will disappear into thin air next time the app is restarted...there's simply no way to back up the currently running Address Book library...

Nov 22, 2014 11:10 AM in response to Barney-15E

Wow! That just solved it for me THANKS!

I just deleted all "v22" files in the Address book folder, started up Contacts, and after restart again everything is still there! Magic!

Still want to point out that the original Address book files works just perfect on older system, i.e OSX 10.6.8 and 10.9

so in my view it looks like the corruption is made by Yosemite. There is a bug Apple need to fix.

Again, thanks for the solution!

Have a great weekend!

Dec 5, 2014 8:13 AM in response to Barney-15E

I just recently had the same problem updating my 2012 iMac to Yosemite. When I opened contacts only a few remained. I tried to implement fixes posted here, but what finally worked was activating contacts and choosing preferences/accounts/ then making sure the iCloud enable box was checked. They reappeared magically! I guess I'm going to have to use iCloud whether I want to or not!

Dec 10, 2014 9:52 AM in response to henkony

For me the following procedure worked well (groups are kept):

- deactivate iCloud completely in system prefs

- import the previously exported addressbuch (.abbu) into contacts

- a new account "iCloud" appears with a broken network symbol

- copy all groups/contacts to the local address book

- login to iCloud in system prefs

- iCloud contacts in contact app disappear, but local contacts stay

- copy local groups/contacts to (empty) iCloud

- delete local contacts

Hope this helps some other users...

Dec 10, 2014 4:29 PM in response to $uep1215

$uep1215 wrote:

I just recently had the same problem updating my 2012 iMac to Yosemite. When I opened contacts only a few remained. I tried to implement fixes posted here, but what finally worked was activating contacts and choosing preferences/accounts/ then making sure the iCloud enable box was checked. They reappeared magically! I guess I'm going to have to use iCloud whether I want to or not!

Not at all. That's just where you contacts were located before updating.

If you don't want to use iCloud, move your contacts out of iCloud and into an ON MY MAC local contacts account.

Jan 14, 2015 12:37 PM in response to henkony

WHY DOESN'T APPLE TELL US BEFORE WE "UPGRADE" THAT THESE THINGS WILL HAPPEN ?

I CANNOT SPEND HALF OF EVERY DAY FIXING APPLE STUFF UP'S.

GETTING VERY VERY ****** OFF BY APPLE SINCE MAVERICKS.

THEY RAVE ON ABOUT HOW GREAT A NEW OS VERSION IS THEN WE END UP SPENING WEEKS FIXING UP ALL THESE STUFF UPS.

😠

Jan 14, 2015 2:32 PM in response to ch475

Several posts on here refer to the exported copy of contacts.

If they all dissapeared with Yosemite just how exactly do you export them ?

On my Macbook Pro they seem to all be there in the Address Book Application support folder (4.5Mb of them) but they just don't appear in the New fancy upgraded Yosemite Contacts application. Should have stayed with Snow Leopard.....

My contacts are not visible on my Mac, there are none in iCloud when I log on to the site but luckily still on my iPhone and of course I did a backup before "upgrading" (sic) to Yosemite. So how to get them back on my Mac ?

All contacts gone after Yosemite upgrade!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.