Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite Launchpad Empty Folder Icon Bug

After upgrading to OS X Yosemite, I noticed that I have unwanted empty folder icons in my Launchpad. For example, I have three "Utilities" folders. Only one of them is an actual folder with apps. I can clear out these ghost folders by moving an app into the folder and then removing it. However, upon system reboot the icons go back to the original buggy state. I've seen this bug posted by others and found no resolution to the issue. If Apple is reading this, please correct the Launchpad empty folder icon bug in your next release. I am attaching a picture illustrating the problem.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 7:57 AM

7 replies

Nov 25, 2014 8:11 AM in response to scarabei

I too have the same issue. It would appear at first to get rid of the empty folders when you drag the last icon out. However when you do and return to the launch pad again you have the empty folder boxes. If you drag your icons back and out again the boxes disappear - but only until next time you open launchpad.

Really silly bug.

Nov 25, 2014 8:16 AM in response to scarabei

Scarabei,

Open Terminal.

Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Terminal

Copy and paste in the following Commands in Terminal and hit return at the end of each line.

defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool true

killall Dock

Also if you want to I would send Apple feedback about this: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Hope that helps,

Weston

Supporting Article,

http://nickmanderfield.com/2014/08/ultimate-guide-to-fixing-and-resetting-osx-yo semite-launchpad/

Jul 21, 2015 2:51 PM in response to westongallagher

thank you. This helped me solve a similar bug: if i open the app launcher window and ever-so-slightly drag while i click on an app, then the icon will stay present over every other app. Even relaunching the finder won't fix this. But the terminal command did. This happens to me about once every three weeks by the way. I think it might be my wacom pen that is able to perform this odd click-drag event that baffles the app launcher.

thanks again for the fix!

Yosemite Launchpad Empty Folder Icon Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.