Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change short-edge binding on Mac in pages

Okay, so I know its not my printer because I can do it from my PCs. I am trying to change the presets in Pages. File>Print>Presets>Show Presets>Layout>Two Sided. Now right now it shows long edge binding, and I need to change it to short edge binding so my document prints correctly, but I cannot select any different options anywhere in this Show presets dialog. It won't let me change anything or even see the different options. I can check two sided and make changes in the File>Print menu, but its like I can't change any options in the Preset menu. I don't see a lock icon that shows up in Apple>Preferences. Can anyone help please?

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 11:09 AM

16 replies

Jun 11, 2017 7:35 PM in response to christiashelle

Hey all. This is how I did it...

Whilst in Pages, I could not set the short-edge binding, or create any preset in the print dialogue window.

However, I was able to create a preset in MS Word and then that preset becomes available in Pages.

Here's how: Open any document in Word. Then File > Print > [Change "Copies and Pages" to "Layout"] > Two-Sided > "Short-Edge Binding" - don't click OK yet! On same window, go to Presets > "Save Current Settings as Preset". Give the Preset a name e.g. "Duplex Short-Edge Binding" > then select "only this printer", or "all printers" then click OK

Open your Pages document, then File > Print > Presets, then select the name of your preset you just created e.g. Duplex Short-Edge Binding, and you're all good to print.

Nov 20, 2014 12:16 PM in response to christiashelle

Here are some possibilities:

• Short-Edge binding is may simply not be implemented on the Mac version. Can you verify this with the printer vendor?
  • Could there be a newer printer driver that does support short-edge binding?
  • Are there Mac configuration details within the printer manual, or on said vendor's support site, that help in short-edge binding settings?
  • Is short-edge binding contingent on other settings in the shown drop-down sheet?
  • Has short-edge binding ever worked for you on any OS X release?

Nov 20, 2014 2:11 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll have to look on the vendor website when I get home. I don't know if it ever worked for me because I just delt with the long edge binding, but now I'm working on a project that must be printed that way, and I will need to use the capability frequently. Also I have the lasted Mac and Pages updates installed.

Nov 22, 2014 4:11 PM in response to christiashelle

Okay so apparently I'm just an idiot. I was in File>Print>Presets>Show Presets>Layout>Two Sided, When I should

have just been clicking the tab that says media & quality>Layout>two sided>short edge. So I posted the pictures even though I didn't want to admit how silly and easy that was. So for those of you who don't know how to change binding, there you go.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

How to change short-edge binding on Mac in pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.