Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Environment variables in Yosemite

Hello,

I'm new to Mac and I'm running into problems setting up my global environment variables in Yosemite. I want the variables to be visible from my development tools (which I launch from the UI) but they aren't and this is making me have to do som really annoying workarounds.

Is there any way to set a global environment variable that can be visible to all applications no matter where or how you launch them?

Thanks.

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10), Samsung u28d590d

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 10:18 AM

1 reply

Nov 20, 2014 10:22 AM in response to joaquindk

Here is the documentation on environment variables: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPRuntim eConfig/Articles/EnvironmentVars.html

There seem to have been big changes in Yosemite. Some of this apparently no longer works. Environment variables are really not very compatible with the OS X user interface. If you have software that uses environment variables, it is best to start them from the command line. Xcode can define environment variables for apps you are debugging.

Environment variables in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.