Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Triple Monitor's on Mac Mini 2014?

Hi All,

I've seen quite a bit of discussion on the older models, and some discussion on the 2014 model. However my question is quite specific and I wonder if anyone could help answer the question as this will be the deciding point for me when buying this machine.

Quite simply, I have 3 x 27" Dell Monitors on my current PC. They are the Dell U2711 to be precise.

Now I'm trying to establish if the Mac Mini can power all three of those screens?

I was thinking of a setup like this maybe?

1 x HDMI ----> Monitor

1 x ThunderBolt ------> Display Port / HDMI ------> Monitor ?

1 x ThunderBolt ------> Display Port / HDMI ------> Monitor ?

Would that work? Has anyone done this yet? My screens are currently running at 2560 * 1440 each monitor I beleive is running at 60 hz

TIA.

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 12:56 PM

7 replies

Feb 14, 2015 10:00 PM in response to MrADeveci

I have tried to hook up 3 monitors to my 2014 Mac mini with Irish graphics and ABSOLUTELY NO WORKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to intel, their Irish graphics card will support 3 monitors, but apple support was not sure when I called them back in December. I went ahead and purchased a Mac mini anyways and have since tried it a few times with different configurations each time, and the answer is still no.

Hope this helps!

Apr 23, 2015 2:57 PM in response to MrADeveci

For what it may help, I am using three monitors on my Mac Mini late 2014. A ViewSonic 27" is connected to the HDMI., one Samsung 24" directly to one Thunderb. and another identical Samsung to the other Thunderb., but through a Targus USB 3.0 Superspeed Dual Video Adapter. I have some issues, every once in a while, but it is difficult for me to say if they are due to the configuration, the Targus or other devices' conflict. I am in fact using 9 USB devices, (including 4 external HDs), six of which connected through an USB port multiplier. The Mac is 2.8 GHz i5 with has 16 Gb RAM and Fusion Drive.

I had issues at the start, like one of the monitors not being recognised and other minor settings issues, but what I can say is that I am working every day and this is what counts for me. Important to notice that I do not need high resolution. The opposite, actually, because I use the monitors mainly to read and write. So 1920 x 1080 is the ideal ratio for me. Lags? Not anything that can disturb my work and I pass through all the three monitors without problems, moving windows etc. I have usually many windows open at the same time (which is the reason I prefer having three monitors). No gaming at all for me, and occasional videos do not have any issue. Manly Word, dedicated writing software, browsers and system windows.

I hope this can help someone.

Apr 23, 2015 3:45 PM in response to MrADeveci

Just a correction to what I wrongly wrote in my previous message: the third monitor is obviously not connected to a Thunderbolt Port but to an USB Port, because it passes through the Targus USB 3.0 Superspeed Dual Video Adapter. The connection has to be direct, and not through any USB Ports Multiplier. There are also some other minor issues that occur with this configuration. For example the third screen (through the Targus device) works weirdly when zooming up the screen/s using Command and the mouse wheel. Nothing important, though, at least for me.

I am adding a low resolution image of the three monitors I have connected to my Mac Mini 2014.

User uploaded file

Triple Monitor's on Mac Mini 2014?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.