Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my ringtone keep reverting to default

HI

recently upgraded from iphone 4 to iphone 6. Bought a new ringtone from I tunes on the iPhone 6 but it keeps disappearing and resetting the ringtone to default. When I go back into iTunes to download/buy the tone again it comes up with a message "you have previously bought this tone"

the tones I bought on my previous iPhone can still be seen and selected in

can can anyone tell me how to stop the ringtone disappearing? the employees at the Apple Store were not even remotely interested in helping and my network provider shop had no clue how to fix it.

thanks in advance

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 1:45 PM

38 replies

Nov 27, 2014 7:50 AM in response to Khawkes27

I also have this issue. I have an iphone 5 and I downloaded a tone last Friday, then on Sunday updated to ISO 8.1.1, my tone disappeared and I had to buy it again, two days later it was gone again and now more tones I have purchased are gone. I have tried resetting and am trying backing up.. When I back it up it shows the tone is on the phone but I cannot find it in the menu to activate it on the phone.--I did just go into my itunes on my computer with my phone hooked up. I manually sync'd the tones instead of selecting all. That put the tones back on my phone but let's see how long that lasts. This is very frustrating.

Nov 27, 2014 7:52 AM in response to Mille_e

Have had an email back from Apple :

Katy, we have already received reports for this issue and Apple is currently working toward a resolution for the issue you have reported regarding the missing tones. You will receive an email after the matter has been investigated and further information is available.

Upon checking here, the purchase of "Back In Black” was already refunded on the account. In ten business days, a credit of 0.99 GBP should be posted to the credit card that appears on the receipt for that purchase.

Now for the other tone that is missing, in the meantime, I have reposted the ringtone again on your account for another download. This is an initial troubleshooting step to try and fix the issue.

Its best to download the ringtone from iTunes on a computer then connect your device so it can be manually transferred.

If you have a computer, you can follow these steps to download it:

1) Make sure you’re using the latest version of iTunes. It can be downloaded free of charge from the Apple website:

apple.com/itunes/download

Note: Installing the latest version of iTunes will not affect your library or any items in your account that you haven’t downloaded.

2) Open iTunes. From the Store menu at the top, choose Check for Available Downloads. You can also click this link to do the same thing:

buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/checkForPurchases

3) Enter your account name and password when prompted, then click the Check button.

The tone should download now. After that, you can transfer the tone back on your device.

To do so, you can follow the steps in this article:

Managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, and iPod
support.apple.com/kb/HT1535

Note: Please copy and paste this link to a new address bar of your browser to access the information

I look forward to your reply to ensure that this matter has been taken care of. But in any case the issue persists or if you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to write us back anytime.

Nov 27, 2014 10:23 PM in response to Khawkes27

I had a similar problem. I purchased two ringtones and they worked just fine at first... Then I had to reboot my iPhone for something and the next thing I know, they are no longer available or visible. I scoured the internet and found a solution (finally) that worked for me... The key is to NOT download them directly to your iPhone. Rather, download them to your iTunes library first, then sync them to your iPhone...

1. In iTunes go to Store --> View Account (You'll be prompted for your password)

2. Scroll down to "Purchase History" click on "See All"

3. Click on the arrow next to the ringtone purchase (left side)

4. Click on Report a Problem - You will be taken to the problem report site for that purchase and you will be required to log in.

5. Select the tone you want to report the problem with and select "Song did not download..." (or whatever the problem report is similar to that).

6. Fill in the description and submit.

7. Repeat for any other purchased tones

After that you can go into iTunes and click on "Store" and click on "Check for downloads"

You'll now have them in your iTunes library and you can then sync them to your iPhone...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Steve

Why does my ringtone keep reverting to default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.