Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 10.10.1 update: "Do you want the application 'Finder.app' to accept incoming network connections?"

Just updated Yosemite 10.10 to 10.10.1 today. Now, every time I boot up, I get an alert box saying: "Do you want the application 'Finder.app' to accept incoming network connections?" In System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options... Finder is on the list to allow incoming connections. How do I get rid of that alert box?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 1:20 PM

13 replies

Dec 9, 2014 8:56 AM in response to Garry Brooke

Shouldn't your Firewall have Finder set to "Allow incoming connections"?

I always use an admin login. I tried toggling Finder to "block incoming connections" in Firewall and restarting. I got the same alert box: "Do you want the application 'Finder.app' to accept incoming network connections?" I clicked "Allow" and checked the Firewall. Finder had been set back to "Allow incoming connections".

Dec 18, 2014 8:34 AM in response to Garry Brooke

Good catch, Garry. Can everybody please post their computer model, year built, CPU, and memory ... Garry, mydigia, Gene133? I'd like to post this to Apple feedback. Apple staff don't read the user forums, but I'm told that they read all the feedback, although they do not reply to it. It would help to know if this problem is unique to older MacBook Pros, or if it occurs on newer/different models as well. Thanks.

Dec 18, 2014 9:54 PM in response to PeterPQA

iMac 27" (late 2009), 2.66GHz Core i5-750, 12GB 1067MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4950 512MB, OS X 10.10.1.

I also have a Mac Mini which is NOT displaying the issue !

Mac Mini (mid 2011), 2.7GHz Core i7 2620M, 8 GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB, OS X 10.10.1.

The lack of issue on the Mini might mean that there's a software combination peculiar to the machines which have the problem. I'm also having odd minor permissions issues on the iMac home folder (since 10.10) which I'm not having with the Mini.

Cheers.

Jan 23, 2015 2:10 AM in response to beekayApple

I've been experiencing this for a few weeks too, and have finally done a bit of digging on this...

Cause

The Mac firewall checks that applications have been 'signed' properly before allowing them to receive incoming connections. Code signing is a digital certificate that validates that software has been written by a trusted author, and has not been modified in any way.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of components within Finder.app in the 10.10.1 release that haven't been signed properly!

We can see this by firing up a Terminal window and issuing the following command:

codesign -vvv --no-strict /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

You'll see a message that a "sealed resource is missing or invalid" because a couple of files have been modified...

I am guessing that Apple tweaked these files at the 11th hour and didn't get them signed properly, though it is also possible that a third party app that uses Finder extensions (I use the cloud drive app "Egnyte" for example) has modified them (though I think that's unlikely). Is it possible that this issue isn't more widely know because most people aren't using the firewall? (It's off by default)

Solutions?

1. I've seen a crazy recommendation to 'Show Package Contents' for the app, and simply delete the offending files... I'd strongly advise against that 😉

2. It's possible to codesign Finder.app yourself by generating an author certificate, updating your keychain so your system trusts apps that you codesign, and then signing Finder.app. Hmmm, it's difficult to recommend this route as well - it is a complex process and may introduce issues further down the road when the next OS update comes our way.

3. Sit tight for now, keep hammering that "allow" button (or turn off the firewall if it kills you that much) and wait for the next OS update which hopefully has Finder signed properly...

I'm sticking with option 3!

HTH,

Dan

After 10.10.1 update: "Do you want the application 'Finder.app' to accept incoming network connections?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.