Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 8 imessage not working for phone number

Hi there,

I have an iPhone 5s and just updated my software to iOS 8.1.1 two days ago. Since then, my iMessage and FaceTime isn't synced with my phone number. My number is greyed out and i can't seem to choose it to activate. So currently my iMessages are sent through my email address. I've tried to switch off and on my iMessages, my phone, i've also tried to reset my network settings..nothing seems to be working and all i see is "waiting for activation" and after sometime that the activation isn't successful. Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 8:15 PM

12 replies

Nov 20, 2014 10:54 PM in response to Maddysuresh

Hello All,

I have 100% same problem in my iphone 5s ios 8.1.1 too....

but, my phone number not showing at all in FACE TIME & iMessage. only showing my email address. i have also made the RESET NETWORK SETTINGS & also turn off my phone and turned on my phone many time. But, didn't get any solution. So, is there any one to help us....

see the picture...User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Nov 21, 2014 6:31 PM in response to Kabir.Sakib

I just had this problem. First, it started with the grayed out number that I can't choose. Then went to my number not being there at all.

I read that there has to be cellular data.

I did a full restore and kept playing with iMessage and Facetime, because both said they couldn't activate.

My number is still not able to be selected, but it shows up now. I cannot select the number from my Mac either. It's no longer an option.

I'm out of country at the moment and I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

It began after I restored my phone (For a-whole-nother problem), earlier today.

Jun 23, 2015 10:49 PM in response to Maddysuresh

iMessage doesn’t use phone number

Those who have upgraded to iOS8 may also notice that the option to use their phone number to send iMessages doesn’t appear to be available. In Settings, the phone number is listed but you cannot select it because it is greyed out. This means that all iMessages would be sent only by email or iCloud ID. What you can do to solve this is to go to Settings and disable iMessage and Facetime. In Settings, go to General and scroll down to Reset and then select “Reset Your Network Settings”. After resetting, check that you are connected to Wi-Fi and enable iMessage and Facetime. Your phone number should now be available as an option to send iMessages.

ios 8 imessage not working for phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.