Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes is currently unavailable

My Apple TV 3 has been playing up for a few days, possibly since the latest update - not sure.

Basically, i can no longer play any purchased TV/movies or iTunes Match music via the Apple TV (still fine via my other Apple devices - Mac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S) and the following message appears, accompanied with a black screen and yellow triangle "iTunes is currently unavailable. Try again later."

I've searched the forms boards and found a bunch of possible solutions that haven't worked: reset and/or restart Apple TV, Sign out and back in to iTunes on both the Apple TV and my Mac, switched Dolby Digital from Auto, On and Off - nothing has worked.

Could this be an Apple server authentication issue? On purchased movies and TV, it's at the authentication stage that things seem to stop.

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated. Right now, iTunes Match and Apple TV aren't doing the job I paid for.

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 7:09 AM

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  2. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  3. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  4. Reset the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings)
  5. Restore the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Restore)
263 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2014 7:09 AM in response to Moakle

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  2. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  3. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  4. Reset the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Reset all settings)
  5. Restore the Apple TV (Settings > General > Reset > Restore)

Nov 21, 2014 10:36 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I have the same issue as the above poster but can't find an answer to this problem.

Feels kinda rotten to pay 1/3 of the cost of a apple tv for a support call where some support personel will tell me to reset the apple tv and check the ethernet cable...

If someone have some technical insight to this issue regarding hickups with itunes authentication or similar it would be interesting to hear. Or some other suggestions as how this issue can be resolved.

//W

Nov 21, 2014 12:21 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Appreciate the response on this, and quickly too!

I'd be surprised if it's my network but I'm open to suggestions! I have tried all of the fixes you suggested in varying combinations and still no luck. The issue does seem to be an authorising one - certainly when it comes to TV/movies content. I did purchase the new X-men film via the Apple TV and seem to remember some comments underneath about needing iOS8 and the latest Apple TV update to run all of the features. I have the latest Apple TV update but I'm wondering, and I have no idea why this would be the case, whether buying that has messed something up somewhere in terms of how my Apple TV "talks" to iTunes?

I have tried reauthorising and reauthorising my Mac with my Apple account on it - didn't make a difference. Have restored my router and Apple TV to factory settings - no difference. Any other thoughts? I had read somewhere about hiding the purchase to fix things but I even tried that earlier and didn't help.

Headscratcher!

Nov 21, 2014 4:57 PM in response to Moakle

We too, are having this same issue. All devices are streaming the movie on our network except our Apple TV. All purchased movies will NOT play on the apple TV. WE are very frustrated at the moment and I am searching for answers on this forum. But no one seems to be able to give a good answer. We have tried all of the above steps. I have to believe there is an issue with Apple and the authorizations..... Please FIX!!!

Nov 22, 2014 5:39 AM in response to Moakle

I'm also having this problem (located in Arlington, VA). I bought a movie this morning (Sat. 22 Nov.). Played some of the "iTunes extras" content from the movie with no issue, then tried to play the movie. The movie seemed to be stuck in "loading" mode. After performing all of the recommended troubleshooting steps, I am now getting the "iTunes Unavailable" message. Signal strength is high on my network. Content from other services, e.g. Netflix, is working fine on my AppleTV. It appears this is a problem with iTunes only. TV shows, Music, Movies... None of these are playing via my AppleTV. After accessing the content and "loading," I get the same message for each: "iTunes currently unavailable. Try back later." Yet, I can see the displayed cover art, the scenes are listed, the extra content is shown, etc. The content just won't PLAY from iTunes on my AppleTV. On my computer, only the most recent purchases are visible as the computer is "waiting for the iTunes store" information.

There is a serious problem with iTunes!

Nov 22, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Moakle

Same problem, both of my ATV's - working off of a Time Capsule. The fact that it is both of my ATV's with identical problems, and that there seem to be many users taking to the forums within the last few days, I am comfortable saying this is an issue on Apple's side. I'm frustrated, but at least I am confident it's not me, or something I can fix on my own.

Nov 22, 2014 8:13 AM in response to tnero

Having this issue also unfortunately 😟

I'm in Lancashire, UK

I can watch and listen to all films/music via iTunes on my 2012 Mac Mini but I cannot access any of it via my Apple TV3; it constantly states that "iTunes is currently unavailable; please try later"

It's driving me mad as I've 200 films on there and masses of music and I can't watch the films or listen to the music apart from sitting at my desk!!!

Has anyone got any further re this?!

I've fully reset my ATV3 and it's made no difference; I've re-booted my Virgin Media SuperHub 2, again no difference. Tried changing the Dolby settings, no difference...

Please advise!

Nov 22, 2014 9:59 AM in response to Moakle

I, too, continue to have this problem: iTunes unavailable. Try back later.

I did an online chat with Apple's support team and reported the problem imploring them to check the iTunes servers/system as the problem seems to be on their end of the pipe. I say this with confidence because I have performed all the Rx troubleshooting steps and also because everything else is working fine on my network including all other apps across all devices-- even other streaming services. iTunes is the one problem across all devices... which is really a shame 'cause I intended to spend this cold, wintry day catching up on movies. That is to say, I would be spending money through iTunes right now if there was not this problem with the iTunes store! Perhaps we should all report the problem to Universal, Sony, Paramount, etc. Maybe then some action would be taken? Has Apple even acknowledged there is a problem?

itunes is currently unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.